German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is kind of in relavince to my other thread about my puppy fear barking. i have being trying to get a handle on her socialization. we have been socializing her since 4 months but i am now in socialization over drive and i have been taking her once a day to socialize. well, the past 3 days i have taken her to the local dog park in the morning and she has started barking when i let her off leash into the park. the first day i thought, ok well its because there are people sitting there, which she has never done before because if they weren't bothering her, she ignored them. second day, the same thing and i thought ok welll, she is afriad of the man walking towards her. well today, there was no one around. she barked for a good minute atleast before she spotted the other dogs and people. she began to bark and run 50 yards to where the other dogs and humans were. barking and wagging her tail. when up to the 3 people down there sniffed them and quit barking when she got down there. now, she is a talker. when we go to family that lives close by, and we turn down the dirt road, she knows where we are going and whines. could she just bark because she is excited? she only barked at 2 people today (which she is getting better at) and one of them she knew because she played with his gsd before and had left him pet her etc. so could she just be excited and bark because she doesn't growl or lunge or anything, although she will have her hackles raised but she is very submissive towards other dogs. if a dog chases her she will tuck her tail or if the dog is bigger than her. i also tried the treat thing today and seems to have worked. should i be worried about her becoming agressive? she has never tried to bite anyone or lunge.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
She's just calling attention to herself. Jax does the same thing. I know it's not "polite" for a dog to do but I don't mind that people don't exactly find us approachable, even if it's only because he's dying to meet the people he sees.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
It's definitely a fear thing. She's sending out warning barks for everyone to stay away from her. Continue to social her but be careful of dogparks. There are alot of idiot owners out there that dont' control their dogs.

On crowded days I would just walk her outside the fence. Also take her to different places like Lowes, Home Depot, Petsmart, strip malls are great to walk around. Get her use to as many enviroments as you can, make them fun, take treats to give to people to give her. If she gets enough good experiences in different places it should help with her fearfulness.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts