German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have had our new puppy Jetta for about 3 weeks now. She is 10 weeks. She is doing well with potty training and she sits, stays, comes and lays down. When I give her a treat she acts like she has never had one before and ends up biting me. I keep telling her easy and wont let her have the treat until she is calm. Is this the right thig to do? She does it everytime. There is no competition for the treat as she is the only dog, and its just me and her when I am doing this. Any ideas? She is my first GSD.

Here are some photos of her.

https://cid-0b8f18a24ee4766d.skydri...esid=B8F18A24EE4766D!149&authkey=NT1CYjsvlig$

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Keep up with what you are doing. She should "figure it out" eventually.

That is what I do with my dogs. Take it nicely and you get the treat, try to snap my hand of and you get NOTHING.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok sounds good. Just want to make sure that I am not confusing her by not giving her the treat for sitting when I ask. She is a little challenge at times. There are time when she will just look at me and not do anything I ask and other times she will do anything.

Thanks

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Oh my- I don't know when I've seen anything cuter! Those two in their outfits are adorable! But to the question- Stosh is very rough, he will actually take your whole hand, plus the clicker in his mouth to get the treat. I started putting the treat on a spoon and he had to delicately and gently remove it so his teeth didn't touch the metal which he hates. I also used a cheese stick and put it in the palm of my hand with just a little showing, so he had to nibble as I let a little more of it out. I kept saying 'easy' or 'gentle', something like that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you. My fingernail on my right hand is black from her accidently biting it a couple times instead of the treat. Its funny because I have been working on the "leave it" command and drop a treat right in front of her and she does not take it but when I give it to her she rips it out of my hand. I will keep doing what I have and see how it goes the next couple days.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Well if Jetta's just 10 wks you're in for a few months of black fingers, ankles, wrists, etc! That's great if she can 'leave it' already!

·
Registered
135 Posts
My Hansel does this do although he is getting better. He acts as if he doesn't mean to chomp my fingers, he just can't help himself. If he does, no treat. It seems to be working...slowly. I have found if I yelp, he understands his mistake.

Gretel, on the other hand, gently nibbles the treat and had never chomped a finger. They're so different.

BTW, your babies are adorable.

John

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She is still learning the leave it command but she does understand it and if she goes for something I just say ah ah leave it and she will just sit there and look at it. But ya I cant believe how smart she is. And she is mouthy LOL.

Thanks

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Keep up with what you are doing. She should "figure it out" eventually.

That is what I do with my dogs. Take it nicely and you get the treat, try to snap my hand of and you get NOTHING.

agreed. least you get to teach a pup!!! All my teaching the gentle command has been on over excited adults. lol. With my dog Zena i finally had to put the treat in my mouth for her to go slow. I would NOT recommend that with a puppy though! Zena eventually learned to take treats nicely from my hand though she's gentle as can be with kids giving her treats darn brat! lol. Riley has always been gentle. You'll get there. for 10 weeks old it sounds like you've already taught her a great deal. keep up the good work!!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
when i was teaching my puppy not to snatch food
i use to place one hand on his chest. i would raise the food/treat
to his mouth and say "don't snatch". of course he's going
to snatch but i'm holding him back while offering the food.
then i would raise to food to his lips, holding him back
and say "don't snatch". i forget how long it took my dog
to learn to take food gently but now when you give him a treat
he leans forward slowly and opens his mouth and takes
the treat gently.

·
Registered
83 Posts
With my other dog I trained "geeeeeentle" (a long and soft gentle) and what he does is he picks the treat or food safely with his front teeth, does not matter if it is a rice grain or a bone. It works, just insist. My GSD bites into me also when in play or excitement when I give him a treat. What helps I found out to expedite this learning process is placing it on your palm which the dog knows he cannot bite it and only lick it if it is a small treat.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I used my palm after a few finger slashes :)

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
when i taught "easy" it was it's own command. meaning if i said "sit" i gave him the treat no matter how hard he went for it. if he was biting too hard, then I'd hold it in my fingers, put it to his face and say "Easy" he would soon start to lick instead of bite, then i gave it to him. repeat process over and over.

but to your point. if he sits at 10 weeks, treat him. he should get a reward for obeying every command that young

·
Registered
537 Posts
Mia still struggles with "nice"-Bella has always taken treats like a dainty lady. The silver lining for me was last summer Mia punctured my thumb and I ended up with a tetanus shot-which is good here in LA County for the Whooping Cough epidemic. Try this: hold your hand in a fist. Insert the treat between your fingers and have the dog take it. They must use care, and they can't really get ahold of any flesh to bite. This works with Mia, but is a lousy technique on walks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts