German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m not sure where exactly this would fit so my apologies if I’ve posted it in the incorrect forum.

Just the idea of doing this consumes me with guilt, but my parents posed the idea to me and I’m just curious what others think.

My parents brought home a GSD pup right before the pandemic began. I live 3 hours away but stayed with them off and on throughout 2020 and early 2021 since I was working remotely. I bonded with that dog unlike any other dog I’ve had in my 30 years on this planet. I still come home somewhat regularly for work but for shorter visits. From the moment I enter the house until the time I leave, she is glued to me. She sleeps in my bed, she sits outside of whatever room I’m in if the door is closed, etc. It guts me having to leave her.

I live in an apartment with weight/breed restrictions, but I was recently prescribed an ESA by my therapist of many years for my struggles with depression and anxiety. We both agreed that having a dog would help me refocus some of my anxiety (I benefit from staying busy and having something to keep my mind off whatever is causing said anxiety). I was all set on getting a GSD of my own. The litter was born last month (same breeder as my parents’ 2 dogs). But now I’m having second thoughts on whether or not bringing a puppy into an apartment is the best idea.

I’ve done a lot of soul searching and have listed all the pros and cons of having a puppy. I have an active social life and travel a lot, so obviously maintaining that lifestyle would be difficult with a puppy. But one thing that I’ve struggled with — even before this second guessing — is that I have to remind myself that I’m not getting my parents’ dog. Mine would have a different temperament, personality, activity level, coat, etc. I would almost feel guilty getting one as I’d feel like I was replacing “my” dog. When I come home, I want to give all my love and attention to her. Having a puppy of my own would obviously interfere with that.

My parents have since bought another GSD — this one a working line who operates at 110% nearly 24/7 (she’s 6 months old). The two GSDs have become inseparable, which makes even the idea of my taking the older pup (1.5 years old) almost unimaginable. But my mom has considered taking my puppy (I’ve already put down a deposit) if I don’t take her.

Even though my parents have 4 dogs in total (they also have 2 older rescues), I can’t believe they even verbalized the idea of letting me take one. I would be somewhat open to the idea if they hadn’t gotten the other GSD. The two older dogs just aren’t as playful.

I do live in an apartment, but I’m very active — I run about 4 miles and walk about 3 every day. I have easy access to multiple dog parks, so exercising the dogs wouldn’t be an issue. She was trained as a puppy, but my parents haven’t done a great job at reinforcing that training. And they definitely haven’t done a good job at socializing her with dogs other than our own. So I’d have my work cut out for me.

So purely hypothetically speaking, what would separating a 1.5 year old GSD from her family do to a dog, even if it was with her “uncle?” Of course the environment would be completely different as well. Just typing that sounds awful, cruel and selfish — but then again I’ve never heard of a situation like this. Any thoughts or insight would be greatly appreciated.

For reference, here’s my girl: :)

Dog German shepherd dog Eye Dog breed Carnivore

·
Registered
11,058 Posts
Nothing. Dogs live in the moment. Take her, she was meant to be yours, and have no guilt whatsoever, all will be well.

By the way, she is lovely. Look at that face ❤ If you don’t want her, send her over here 😁😁

Oh, and no dog parks, that’s the quickest way to ruin the dog.

·
Registered
11,058 Posts
And when you take her, stick around and join us. Would like to see more of that wonderful girl.

·
Registered
Jazmine Auf Der Marquis
757 Posts
Agreed take her, she knows you and likes you. As stated already no dog parks. They are great to visit at a distance to teach your dog to ignore other dogs. We only go in if we are the only ones there and leave if we spot someone headed to the park.

We had a 40# supper mutt that was glued to me and would sit in my lap for belly rubs. We gave her to my son who is no longer an active duty Marine, has 70# disability and PTSD. They are best buds and great for each other. She even makes him stop playing video games to sit on the couch and get belly rubs every night.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Keeping with the 100% yes rate - take her. A new pup is a gamble, and it sounds like your relationship with her is great. I think you already know that she will ease your anxiety/depression.

Keep her training going. You can join a gsd club, agility etc or do tricks (check out domorewithyourdog).

You will find some social avenues close with a dog but many open up too.

Please keep us posted!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow! This quite frankly was not the response I was anticipating. But I’m so glad it is as it will make convincing my parents a little easier.

She really is my entire world.

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Fawn Plant

Nothing. Dogs live in the moment. Take her, she was meant to be yours, and have no guilt whatsoever, all will be well.

By the way, she is lovely. Look at that face ❤ If you don’t want her, send her over here 😁😁

Oh, and no dog parks, that’s the quickest way to ruin the dog.
Wow, I did not know that about dog parks. They’re so popular in my city. Clearly I need to do a lot more research if I move forward with this. I can certainly find other avenues for exercise.

You should take home your heart dog for sure.
And when you take her, stick around and join us. Would like to see more of that wonderful girl.
I absolutely will! Even if I don’t take her. :)

Agreed take her, she knows you and likes you. As stated already no dog parks. They are great to visit at a distance to teach your dog to ignore other dogs. We only go in if we are the only ones there and leave if we spot someone headed to the park.

We had a 40# supper mutt that was glued to me and would sit in my lap for belly rubs. We gave her to my son who is no longer an active duty Marine, has 70# disability and PTSD. They are best buds and great for each other. She even makes him stop playing video games to sit on the couch and get belly rubs every night.
Thank you for sharing! :) Dog parks are so commonplace in my city. I had no idea. I need to do a lot more research if I’m going to proceed. Sniffspots are plentiful in the area so that may be a better route to take for exercise.

Take her!! I'm actually so jealous, I wish I had a go-to, free, reliable, and stress-free boarding facility (i.e.....your parents house) to take my dog when I needed to travel!!!
Yes the built-in boarding will be great for my travel!

Keeping with the 100% yes rate - take her. A new pup is a gamble, and it sounds like your relationship with her is great. I think you already know that she will ease your anxiety/depression.

Keep her training going. You can join a gsd club, agility etc or do tricks (check out domorewithyourdog).

You will find some social avenues close with a dog but many open up too.

Please keep us posted!
I will - thank you for the advice!

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
All our dogs are shelter dogs and we usually try for an adult because puppies are work. I have never yet run across a dog that cared where we lived. Me couch es tu couch. If you attached to the dog and you think she would make you a great service dog, take her and enroll in classes.

·
Registered
11,058 Posts
Half of me loves it when you post pictures of her gorgeous, kind face, half of me wants to go over there and take her for myself! What’s her name?😍

In all seriousness, here is a good start, dog park threads. GSDs do not need other dogs, especially strange ones.
They need their people.

·
Registered
8,615 Posts
I had a dog for several years that came to me as a recycled dog. I moved in a roomie for a while and when he moved out we both agreed that the dog needed to go with him. She was his, heart and soul. It didn't matter that I owned her or that she had been with me for years. It was evident from day one that she was his dog.
They pick their people.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you all again for sharing your wisdom and stories.

All our dogs are shelter dogs and we usually try for an adult because puppies are work. I have never yet run across a dog that cared where we lived. Me couch es tu couch. If you attached to the dog and you think she would make you a great service dog, take her and enroll in classes.
That’s wonderful. I will most definitely enroll her in classes as my parents haven’t done the best job in that department.

Half of me loves it when you post pictures of her gorgeous, kind face, half of me wants to go over there and take her for myself! What’s her name?😍

In all seriousness, here is a good start, dog park threads. GSDs do not need other dogs, especially strange ones.
They need their people.

:giggle:
sounds like she knows who she belongs with
Thank you for sharing that! I will definitely read through those threads.

My girl’s name is Leisl. Here’s another photo just because I love any opportunity to share her with the world. :)

Dog Snow Dog breed Carnivore Fawn

First snow!

Yes take her home. She is already yours.
I hope she feels the same way if we go through with this!

I had a dog for several years that came to me as a recycled dog. I moved in a roomie for a while and when he moved out we both agreed that the dog needed to go with him. She was his, heart and soul. It didn't matter that I owned her or that she had been with me for years. It was evident from day one that she was his dog.
They pick their people.
I agree with that! Thanks so much for sharing your story.

·
Registered
11,058 Posts
Someday, I WILL meet and love on that girl.
There are times on this forum when you see a picture and immediately fall in love with a dog.
Liesl is such a dog🌺
Are you a Sound of Music fan?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Someday, I WILL meet and love on that girl.
There are times on this forum when you see a picture and immediately fall in love with a dog.
Liesl is such a dog🌺
Are you a Sound of Music fan?
My dad actually named her. I like the movie but I’m not familiar enough with it to know the all of the characters’ names but I sure know this one now!

·
Registered
11,058 Posts
My dad actually named her. I like the movie but I’m not familiar enough with it to know the all of the characters’ names but I sure know this one now!
This is Liesl 🥰 and her most famous scene.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
OK I'll be that guy :sneaky:
Leave the poor dog alone and visit as often as you can. In your own words, your parents "two GSDs have become inseparable" so why separate them? And active outside of it or not (and yes it can work), an apartment is nowhere near the best place for a German Shepherd. Take her away from her current good situation and buddies? Nope ....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK I'll be that guy :sneaky:
Leave the poor dog alone and visit as often as you can. In your own words, your parents "two GSDs have become inseparable" so why separate them? And active outside of it or not (and yes it can work), an apartment is nowhere near the best place for a German Shepherd. Take her away from her current good situation and buddies? Nope ....
I think I’m going to leave it up to my parents. I trust they will make the best decision for her. I will be happy either way as long as I can visit her on a semi-regular basis.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts