German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We will not quite be into 2 full weeks with our Rescue Diesel before we have to make a 5 hour road trip back home for a funeral. All 3 dogs have to go, I know during the 2 week shut down and other program we should not be traveling like this but we dont have much choice it is for my grandfather. I welcome any tips or suggestions to ease the stress on him and make this something that does not set us back with our progress.

Things that specifically concern me:
- My family lives in a very rural area, my cousins 5 acres boarders where we are staying with my dad, he has invisible fence around his whole 5 acres and that goes right along the drive way to my dads, they have a large unneutered male dobie he is ALWAYS there barking when we pull up. (Our GSD is dog aggressive)
- Lack of fenced area. There is no fenced in yard to take him out in where he has a physical boundary, we have a 30ft long line.
- He is going to be riding in the SUV with our other 2 dogs. We purchased a wire divider where he will be all the way in the back by himself our other two will be in the middle or should we reverse that? Put him closer to us to feel more safe and not segregated. (our other two travel really well)
- Crate time while alone. We are finally making strides where he is not flipping out when left alone in his crate, I feel like leaving him alone while we attend viewing / services he is going to go backwards again :cry:
- Would it be better to leave him behind and ask someone to come watch him? I dont want to send him to a kennel as that just seems to me like it would be interpreted to him that we are abandoning him. But if we leave someone to watch over him he will be spending considerable amounts of time in his crate alone.

Opinions?

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I would try and keep it as stress free as possible for both you and him. Bring the crate and set it up in a bedroom or somewhere quiet so he has a place to relax, bring lots of great treats like bully sticks, kongs to freeze, frozen raw bones, etc so he has something to enjoy while in the crate.

I would keep him away as much as possible from the other dogs (outside of yours) and same with humans. I'm assuming there will be crowds of people and he may or may not do well with that. Watch him for signs of stress if he's out and keep him leashed to you at all times so you can control and can remove him if he gets uncomfortable.

I'm very sorry for your loss of your grandfather :(

·
Registered
369 Posts
I would recommend going for rides for a couple days in a row to get him used to being in a truck for a good amount of time.

Also make some extra stops along the way since 3 dogs are going to be cramped up in that small space you want to let them stretch and go potty.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would try and keep it as stress free as possible for both you and him. Bring the crate and set it up in a bedroom or somewhere quiet so he has a place to relax, bring lots of great treats like bully sticks, kongs to freeze, frozen raw bones, etc so he has something to enjoy while in the crate.

I would keep him away as much as possible from the other dogs (outside of yours) and same with humans. I'm assuming there will be crowds of people and he may or may not do well with that. Watch him for signs of stress if he's out and keep him leashed to you at all times so you can control and can remove him if he gets uncomfortable.

I'm very sorry for your loss of your grandfather :(
Thank you for your condolences. I dont want him to even see another dog but I know he will as soon as we pull into the drive way there is going to be 135lb dobie waiting for us barking his face off. Also that darn thing will always be within ear shot of us and sight distance. My dads property is long and narrow and the dobie has access to the whole length of the property. Ugh I dont want to go I think I am more stressed over taking my pup than the actual event at hand. :(

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
So sorry for your loss:(

Diesel looks mighty comfy in the car LOL...

I'd play it by ear right now, you've got atleast another week with him, to see if you think this trip will be ok or maybe like you said, if you can get someone to come stay with him, that might make it less stressful for him

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DH and I decided it is in Diesel's best interest to not go, so although I would like to have the support of my DH during this time we have opt'ed for him to stay home with Diesel and continue his training / adjustment / rehab here at home so we dont have steps backwards or stress him anymore than necessary :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts