German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my German shepherd puppy is now about 11 1/2 weeks old and I would like to take him for walks but I'm worried because I've always heard puppies shouldn't even touch outside until 16 weeks. It would be nice to have him just see the outside world on walks with me and such but I don't want to risk his life for a walk if it comes down to it. Does the 16 week rule still hold true to this day?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Just take him for a walk and keep him away from areas where lots of other dogs poop and pee. That's really the issue: parvo. You could also research and see if parvo is a problem in your area.

Anyway, at his age, it's not like he's going to go very far. He'll make it 5-10 minutes tops and then will be tired.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
See I live in an area where everyone and their mom has a dog. And sadly it seems people with small dogs don't believe they need to pick up their dog's poop. There's a park across the street from me that's really nice and I take my husky there almost daily to play with the big group of us that meet up. I want to take him as literally all of us have our dogs vaccinated (there's about 15-20 of us that meet daily) but it's the chance that say someone has walked through there with a dog un-vaccinated that worries me. I try to offset this by the fact my boyfriend never wipes off our husky's paws before bringing her back inside which means it should be fine but still....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts