German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Nadja- AKA the BooRoo
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some may know Nadja and Mia recently got into a fight, Nadja has a small puncture on her upper leg, it’s not too deep but she won’t leave it alone so she’s made it bigger and is moving with a slight but noticeable limp. I haven’t been able to go to training days because of having to quarantine for two weeks so I’d rather not miss another day. I’m not sure what to do, I don’t want to miss this but I also don’t know if I should take her. She’s still wanting to work and run so that’s encouraging and on her walk today she started bounding after mice so maybe if she feels up for hunting mice then taking her to training won’t be a problem? I’ve been really looking forward to going to see this trainer and would rather not wait another couple weeks to go again. I’ve also noticed that after a few minutes of moving around the limp lessens quite a bit. Opinions and advice welcomed

·
Super Moderator
32,782 Posts
What kind of training?

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
It’s not structural, which is the big thing. It’s mostly just pain she’s dealing with. I wouldn’t recommend jumping or things like that, but you’d be fine training. It’s unlikely to make it worse. Just don’t push too far.

·
Registered
Nadja- AKA the BooRoo
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you! I’ll take it easy and hopefully we’ll both have fun

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
I took my dog for a group tracking practice with a bandaged paw pad and a boot on because he had a minor cut. I knew the tracking wouldn't make it worse, it was healing fine with my bandage and boot. He tracked great, it didn't do anything to his pad injury one way or the other.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I think you can still do tracking, if you track with your club.
It’s also possible to take her to OB. But when she gets out of the car thinking that she’s going to do crazy fun OB on the field, she just takes a walk. I think it’s beneficial to learn that every time out of the car isn’t awesome fun time even if she’s at club. Or take her out but only do positions and pivots.
I would be cautious about protection with an injury.

·
Registered
Nadja- AKA the BooRoo
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well we went yesterday and had a blast! Nadja woke up that morning and walk out of her bed with hardly even a limp so that was good. She did wonderful, didn’t bark at any dogs not even when one was barking at her, she was super focused and put in a good show in obedience. I learned how to better my skills as a handler and the trainer helped me tweak a few things that I was struggling with and gave me some homework to work on until our next session. We both had a bunch of fun!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts