German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is obviously all for fun and we'll never know for sure since she's a rescue, but what lines do you think my Elsa is? West German WL? Czech? DDR? American? West German SL?

OK, a few of those are in there for fun. She definitely isn't WGSL or ASL. I say she's not blocky enough for DDR...

She's fairly high prey drive. Loves to chase and pounce on balls and other moving objects. Chipmunks are her biggest target (NAUGHTY!), although she does does do well with cats and small dogs (seems to know the difference??), although I doubt her self control if a neighborhood cat went flying by in the backyard. CRAZY about her tennis balls...whiny, obsessive...

She's equally as "toy" driven as "food" driven...or "praise" driven for that matter. Happy, happy, happy to work with or without a reward, although a tennis ball, cheese, or hot dogs makes it allllllllllllllllllll that much better. I'd say maybe a little more food driven, as sometimes in new places she gets a little ADD and food focuese her a little bit better.

Nerves are pretty darn good. Get's a bit worked up when going out and about from the excitment of going in the car, somewhere fun, etc, but settles pretty quickly. Can be a little more cagey than I'd like with new people sometimes, but if she's working during introductions (ie sit, "look at your ball", stay, focus, etc) she's pretty unfazed.

She tends to want to anticipate what I want and do it ahead of time. Like when go on walks, before we started agility, I'd find objects for her to climb on. Now she just jumps on this with the unbridled enthusiam like "MOM!!! LOOK!!! LOOK MOM!!!!"

Settles well in the house.

If there are other dogs around, she is very overbearing and dominant but generally gets along well enough...although she NEVER backs down, which isn't really a good thing.

That's about it personality wise.....and here's the pics (what you've all been waiting for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).

And I say she's West German WL/Czech cross!!!

Side A

Side B

Sitting

Face Shot

Playing Tug

Clmibing on Things For Mommy

Thanks for offering your opinions!!

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
as i'm not fluent in "lines" i'm just going to say she is one of the most gorgeous sables i think i have ever seen!!! She's is absolutely beautiful!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Whatever she is, she is absolutely gorgeous !!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No one on either of the boards is disagreeing with me. Humpf. And here I was so proud of myself for spending a year analyzing what lines I thought she was and coming up with my combo....yet you all can do it after 5 minutes! :D

Kidding, of course! I do think it is funny how she kind of blends inbetween the 2 lines with her personality. Obviously, there's always variation depending on the actual mom, dad, and other relatives...and of course everyone has a difference in opinion. But overall that's what I say...

·
Registered
818 Posts
I def agree.. but most of all she is stunning!

·
Registered
80 Posts
She is beautiful and very close to what my 4.5mo looks like ( cept mine is a bit smaller LOL).

I would like to know how to figure out lines. My Breeder is of no help as of yet (I have asked but he is on vacation). The pedigree from AKC only shows Dam/Sire and Grandparents names which none are Champions and no other details.

So how can someone (like me) determine her lines other than watching her growth/development/temperament ?

And if that's all there is, where is the list that shows Countries association with traits?

Not meaning to hijack your thread but I have a feeling there are others that have the same questions as I do.

Thanks!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sorry, pretty new here........
I will not expect an answer to the above post in this thread. Please disregard all but the first sentence.

I will make a thread in this same forum with my question.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's ok, your question generates a lot of commentary, I don't mind. But you're definitely better off posting it in your own thread so it gives more traffic for your guy. Good luck!

My dog is a rescue, so I WON'T ever be able to know what she is, but it is fun guessing anyway!

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
AEA, if you can post a link to your dog's pedigree, or post the full names, we may be able to give you a good guess. Full registered names usually (but not always) include the kennel names, so if we see who which kennels your dog's parents and grandparents (and more, if you have the info) came from we may be able to tell if they came from a line of working or show line kennels.

Edit: LOL, nevermind! I see you already did:

http://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...224-midnight-vom-lynux-hiedi-von-johnson.html

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
I would like to know how to figure out lines. My Breeder is of no help as of yet (I have asked but he is on vacation). The pedigree from AKC only shows Dam/Sire and Grandparents names which none are Champions and no other details.
Did you try to do the 5 generation pedigree on the AKC site or were you looking at the pedigree database? You have to pay for the one on the AKC site, I think it's 10.00 - 12.00 can't remember exactly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts