German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DH and I have noticed that Rocky will wag his tail but he doesnt seem to do it much. Apollo on the other hand will beat you to death with his tail if given the chance.

We can remember if Rocky did it as a puppy or not. So my question is, does your GSD wag his tail alot, or just kind of some times?

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
As a baby puppy, Grimm wagged more. He is still socially pretty waggy, but much less so than when a baby.

Funniest? He is still puppy enough at 19 month to still wag his tail socially at bugs he finds.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Both of my boys wag their tails whenever they're really happy, and it does feel like they're beating you to death with it sometimes, I'm sure my walls will testify with the thumps!

G

·
0 Posts
Odin - tail = baseball bat

Frigga - tail = whipcord

Although Odin is usually reserved in wagging his tail he does so profusely whenever either DW or I come home. Frigga always wags her tail like a propeller.

·
Super Moderator
32,304 Posts
Dena has a gentle swish. She doesn't wag it that much around the house, but she will wag it the entire time we're at the park, even sometimes while she's sitting or laying down.

Keefer will beat you to death with his tail, and he wags it at home all the time - I can just look at him and that thing starts going. Food, attention, a toy, his leash, pretty much anything gets him going. He's an excitable boy, lol!

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Morgan is pretty expressive with her tail. When the kids and I come home - even just from 10 minutes at the corner store - she thumps on the wainscoting with joy. Taking a walk, she's usually slowly swishing it around. Unless there's a squirrel or cat, then the tail goes faster. Neighbors puppy - fast happy tail. Mailman - held up high and moving faster! Some other female GSD barks in her face rudely, big flourish of peh, what is your problem as she's walking away.

With all this swooshing going on, she never hits us with it. Considering she's not Lady Grace, it's pretty amazing she's never put someone's eye out with that thing!

·
Registered
671 Posts
I wouldn't consider Brenna a very 'waggy' dog. She has 2 distinct wags. One is a submissive but happy full body wag where the tail moves in conjunction with the rest of her body snaking back and forth when she's greeting a person she knows, she also uses it for my mom's dominant lab mix. Her other wag is an excited wag for when she sees a squirrel/chipmunk/feral cat/etc. in this case she raises her tail high and swings it back and forth, separate from the rest of her body which is in alert mode.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yukon has an almost constant wagging tail. In fact that is how his breeder described him to me in her updated e-mails.

He can clear the coffee table of all remotes, books, plates, cups etc.. in seconds.

Out on walks his tail resembles a flag blowing in the wind.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Originally Posted By: GSDadOdin - tail = baseball bat

Frigga - tail = whipcord

Although Odin is usually reserved in wagging his tail he does so profusely whenever either DW or I come home. Frigga always wags her tail like a propeller.
That's the same with my dogs...Emma wags side to side, Elle's tail goes around and around. They've always have wagged their tails alot, but watch out you will get beaten with the tails when they are super excited about something!

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DH is telling me Rocky doesnt way his tail much cause he is part wolf LOL

I always thought tail wagging meant they were happy. Maybe they all just express themselves differently.

·
Registered
3 Posts
DH chose Ava from the rescue group because she wagged her tail.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
Brady wags his tail but my lab could kill you when she wags her tail.
Her tail is leathal

·
Registered
772 Posts
Originally Posted By: littledmcBrady wags his tail but my lab could kill you when she wags her tail.
Her tail is leathal
Same here.
Kaper is a little more reserved with his tail. For me, its just all the more better when you do get a tail wag out of him. You know he is really happy. If I come into the bedroom after a shower and he is waiting, he wags his tail when he sees I am coming to pet him. Take Kaper to the beach and it doesn't stop.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Bump (one of the greyhounds at work) has a helicopter tail and it act like a whip if if hits you ... hurt, hurt. Quynne has got more waggy as she get older but even then it is not whip-like and I am grateful.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Shiloh-thumps tail a little when he wants a butt rub

Shoshona-what tail?? I don't even know if she knows its there..but then again she is the Queen and Queens rarely wag their tails

Eli-wags tail. When he gets excited he spins it cirles sort of like a helicopter blade

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Is there ANY research/articles regarding tail wagging directed at owner (hate THAT TERM but can't come up with substitute)wagging is showwing submission and/or greeting pack leader.Just to be fair Jake is NOT much of wagger'

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Kenya has different wags depending on her mood. If she's happy and we are just going on a walk, her tail is about horizontal, maybe a little less, and might slowly swish back and forth. If she's super excited, happy, or playing with me or other dogs, the tail is just above horizontal, and whips around in a circle. If she is trying to get my attention (usually when I have food), it just swishes back and forth really fast.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts