German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Sunday my girl who is just over 2 years old got her tail shut in a car door. I think it got the tail past the bottom half, almost 2/3 of the way down. She started shreaking and wailing about. I ran to her and got the door open but it was about 20 seconds past. I didnt notice any bumps on it, nor blood, but she wont let me really look at it either. 24 hrs later she is still carrying the tail weird. I just read another recent thread about an injury and surgery / amputation, and i'm even more heartbroken.

Should i definitely be taking her to the vet for an xray??

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys. I rushed her to the vet last night right after posting this. They shaved her tail where the injury happened, which was the bottom 6" The vet said there were light abrasions all around, and possibly some light fracturing, as she could almost hear / feel light crunching when bending the tail. Didnt recommend the xray as either way, they would just be letting it heal, while on antibiotics and pain meds.

Poor baby

·
Registered
1 Posts
How long did it take to heal? This happened to my GSD last Thursday, last Friday took her to the vet and she was not having it! They said the same thing to me about the X-ray - wouldn’t change the treatment . Gave me anti inflammatory and gabapentin for pain. Here we are a week later and she is still guarding and will not let me touch the tail.... so I was wondering how long it took until it was no longer painful for your dog? What was the end result?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts