German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I have a 11 week old (almost 12) GSD puppy and he's chasing his tail ocassionally and barkimg at it. I heard that it can just be for fun but I also heard that it can mean that they have OCD! I know hes a puppy but my golden retriever puppy never chased her tail before. I'm a bit worried. Is this normal puppy behavior to chase their tale so frequently or could it be a sign of OCD?

I think its normal but my roommate thinks he might be a bit stupid.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
mine is 5 months old and still chases his tail on occasion. It doesn't worry me :)

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Don't let the pup chase his tail. GSD have a tendency to be obsessive. So no tail chasing and no laser chasing. Fiona started to do and the trainer had me put the kibosh on it real quick. If pup is chasing tail, pup is saying I need a walk or some exercise.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't let the pup chase his tail. GSD have a tendency to be obsessive. So no tail chasing and no laser chasing. Fiona started to do and the trainer had me put the kibosh on it real quick. If pup is chasing tail, pup is saying I need a walk or some exercise.

SERIOUSLY? That's not good. Ok I will definitely put that tail chasing to an end.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Yes, Cheyana is right - OCD tail chasing is common in the breed. Stop him, redirect to other games. Up his exercise, both mental and physical.

NEVER exercise a dog with a laser light, this easily becomes OCD light and shadow chasing.

·
Registered
766 Posts
don't worry about it. Pennys 7 months and still goes at it every now and then

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Mine has chased his tail occasionaly but only for a few seconds. He is a little bit over 4 months. He doesn't do it daily....but if I see it I just re-direct him.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
no, do worry about it . At least so much that you know to NOT encourage it by making it into a "trick" , or somehow rewarding it by laughing and giving attention.
I know dogs that got so overwrought with obsessive tail chasing that they mutilated themselves , and another who had to have the tail amputated.

studies show that there is a gene responsible affecting brain chemistry and neural response Canine compulsive disorder gene identified in dogs

Tail-Chasing Could Be Sign of OCD in Canines - PawNation

feeding is going to be important , especially oils Lecithin & Ocd | LIVESTRONG.COM

1 - 8 of 8 Posts