German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dog just spent last 12 minutes chasing his tail in circles.

He also is laying down on his bed trying to bite as his tail...

No, no fleas or bugs. Is this normal or something I should adress?

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
its sounds like an issue....

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
I'd stop it, it can become an obssession with him. I know of a rescue that came to the shelter as as stray with a stubby tail. After he was in foster it was discovered he was a tail chaser, chewer. Still working on his issues.

There is a recent thread on tail chasing, anal gland expression may help him, or it could be that he needs more outlets for his energy. Another cause could be he is out of alignment and his spine or tail is giving him pain.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seems when I drag his attention to playing with the cat oepr chewing on the bone he stops an doesnt go at it..

Good to know it could lead, or be problems. I will keep my eye out. Thanks!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
You might want to have a vet or groomer check his anal glands, when they become full it's irritating and itchy. If that's not a problem I would suggest you redirect him to a toy or other activity- gsds tend to be genetically prone to obsessive tail chasing or other behaviors.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Tail chasing seems to be an OCD that GSDs are prone to. I'd have his anal glands checked but if they aren't the problem and he continues, find a behaviorist ASAP to help you address the issue.

·
Registered
936 Posts
check AGs and it can become OCD is a shepherd. Breed is oddly prone to it.

·
Registered
445 Posts
This is exactly how my oldest dog Apollo is. I adopted him 5 months ago and he came with a docked tail just because of that issue. Apollo has an extremely high prey drive and when he's not being worked with mentally he is taking his anxiety out on his tail. He can't reach his tail anymore but still, when he is anxious it's one thing he can turn to. I have been taking him to a trainer and we are working with him to get him to stop. So far it's working.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
Heagler870 where are you located? Near Detroit?

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
I hope you get relief for Apollo, such a hard issue to deal with!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Thank you. Yes, I am working with an AMAZING trainer. She worked with Caesar Milan before he got famous. She doesn't use words when training. Just hands and her body. So far it's working.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts