German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My poor pup (who just turned 1) has severe anxiety I used to think it was that he was just really full of energy (which he is!) but the poor guy cannot even lay down and sleep. He gets about 60 seconds in and then has to get up and walk around and re check everything out. He has started to be over the top for chasing his tail, and now that's ALL he does when he's not playing.

We try to distract him (first we yelled at him but that made it worse) but i'm not kidding when I say this, we would be doing nothing but distracting him 24/7 except for bed time. I can't clean, or cook or do anything because the minute I turn my back he's chasing his tail.

Has anyone been able to get their dog to stop?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What kind of mental and physical exercise is this dog getting?
He's crated while we are at work three days a week, two days a week he's in daycare. The three days he's home, he gets a 30 minute walk during the day.

When we get home from work he's out and we play ball, chase, etc. But honestly, I am sure he needs more but we work full time jobs. On the weekends he of course gets way more attention, as we have jobs M-F only.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i have a 14 month old male that has a problem kind of similar to yours.. Mine has an obsession with lights, shadows, reflections, bugs, etc... Ever since he was a puppy when a fly would go past his face he would snap at it.. Then i started taking him everywhere with me in my truck... When a car would pass by he would lunge at it and snap his jaws.. I thought it was cute, funny, or whatever at first.. Now it has morphed into an obsession with passing cars and headlights... If he is in the truck, he wants zero affection... All he wants is for a car to pass so he can lunge at it and snap... It doesn't bother me that much anymore.. But is annoying.. Also, while at my house, he will sit under the street light at night and wait for a shadow to chase.. Literally every night i can open the front door, and he will run to his "spot" under the street light and remain there until i call him back inside.. I kinda feel as though he has developed some sort of complex... I have never played with him using a light or laser of any sort. But i think the car headlight thing has made him obsessed with any kind of light or shadow to chase.. Mine is a great dog, and i can call him off his shadow chasing and he will come right to me, but he will also sit in his one spot all night if i let him.. Don't really know what to do about it.. If it is a sunny day and buzzards are flying over, he will literally chase their shadows as far as he can keep up with them.. Sometimes i get nervous he is going to chase them, and get himself into danger..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi,
My boy Ruger started chasing his tail around seven months of age.
He was never encouraged to do this even a little bit. It seemed to happen when he was frustrated and wanted to play or was just bored, sometimes no good reason at all.
I did find out later from the breeder both of his parents exhibit this behavior. Other than this, he very stable , He’s not an anxiety ridden or a nervous dog. Very steady. Great dog.
Talking to my trainer, Inwas told not to let tail chasing progress or it would become a deeply ingrained habit. I know that this type of behavior can lead to dogs actually chewing off their own tails. It really seemed to be an OCD type of thing with him, genetically driven.
Tail chasing was extinguished very quickly with an E collar and a high-level correction——only had to employ this two to three times and the behavior has been totally extinguished.
Was it fun to do this? Nope.
Am I glad I did it? Absolutely.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts