German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the second time in the last 8 months, something is making the tail of my GSD go "inverse". Instead of the "j" it flips the end of it in the other direction. When he is running or excited the tail goes horizontal and half way drops down almost in a 90 degree angle. It also look like is swollen and the hair puffy. I'll try to post a photo later. The first time it happened after I had been playing with him on my drive way. He was jumping up trying to catch a toy I was holding. So when that happened I though he may had hurt him self and maybe was a pinch nerve. He is 4 1/2 years and for the first time since I have him, I did not run to the vet. After a week or more of resting him, he was fine. His hips are OFA certified and his elbows are also fine (lots of X-Rays in 4 years). Last week he got the strange tail again. A couple of days before I was working him out on my back yard. Regular stuff and also made him jump a 1 meter hurdle several times. From my driveway to my back yard there are some 5 steps and usually he runs and jumps from the top level down, and the is a concrete slab before the dirt. When the tail thing happened again I though: It may be the jumping that had put some load in his spine and that is affecting his tail with a pinch nerve o something. I rested him(5-6 days) but no change. I had take him to the park and play with him a little bit and it does not seems to be hurting at all. I notice that when I heel him sometimes he can not sit (like the tail is bothering him. I had check his tail and seem sensitive. I'm posting here because I have had always good advice, in all areas. Maybe somebody has an idea. I'll wait a few more days if not I will have to take him to the vet. Thanks for your comments and sorry this is so lenghty.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
I would take him to the vet. Maybe his tail itself is injured (I had a friend who accidentally slammed the door on his dog's tail and ended up with a crink in the dog's tail permanently). Or you may be on to something with a spine injury with all that jumping.

Our darn dogs and thinking they're invincible...Mine does it too; he loves to jump any which way he can. He'd jump off the roof, if he could just figure out how to get up there.
And yes, he once had that "not quite sitting down" thing (he'd get his bottom almost all the way to the floor; then he'd slide into a down in hopes that that would make me happy because he couldn't sit...like I guess I wouldn't notice he *couldn't* sit?). That got him a visit to the vet.

I do what I can to limit that exuberance without physically sitting on him (he moves too fast and bucks me off). My dog's part kangaroo, part skydiver (and when we're at the pool, he's a member of the Olympic dive team).

But I don't like potential spine injuries because they sneak up on us. One day, everything is fine; the next, the dog can't walk. Anti-inflammatories and complete rest may be all he needs, but there's no way to know without a thorough exam.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I may have to do just that. If does not looks fine in the next few days (full rest) I'll take him to the vet. I was just inspecting his tail's end and he is very sensitive at that spot (last three/four inches). I feels like there is a little bit of swollen in there

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
yes, it sounds like the tail got injured. since the tail is part of the spine i would get it checked out. they might have to put some kind of a cast or something on it so it can heal. things showing in the tail can also indicate lower spine injuries.

debbie

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shaq's tail is back to his normal shape! yesterday when I got home after work it was already looking better. This morning was fine. Now when he gets grumpy with the cairn terrier (who is an instigator) his tail goes straight up.
So I assume all that jumping is not for him. He is a showline 92 pounds and I was proplably overdoing it. I'll rest him untill the weekend and if everything looks ok, I'll work him just a little bit (of course not jumping) Thanks for the responses and suggestions,

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
That's great news!

Resting them is always difficult. Congratulations on being able to slow your dog down long enough to rest him. It's so hard. Gosh, I know how hard it is....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts