German Shepherds Forum banner

Are Your Dogs Chipped Or Do They Wear Tags?

• Chipped

Votes: 25 9.8%
  • Tags On Collar

Votes: 40 15.6%
  • Neither

Votes: 11 4.3%
  • Both

Votes: 180 70.3%
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For id purposes, which one do you use? I have my dogs chipped, but also have their tags on their collars when they are out.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
The Hooligans are chipped ... except when we're on vacation I don't allow them to wear collars.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Both. If I were to lose the mutt monsters, I'd want the tags on the collars so helpful people could contact me directly instead of taking them to a shelter, and I'd want the chips as backup in case the collars or tags came off.

I'm actually doubly careful to keep their collars on when we're on vacation -- that's when I'm most worried that they might get lost and not be able to find their way back.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I use both. Ammo is chipped but I ordered tags for him in case he gets loose and the person who finds him doesn't look for a chip.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Reactions: 94yj

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Both, but Mikko only wears a collar when we're out or driving in the car.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Both. They only wear collars when off the property, but their have their name, address, and my cell number. The chips have all the same information

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
none of my 3 would run away from home, they sit at the back door and bark or whine till i let them in, so none are chipped or tagged,

·
Registered
6,699 Posts
it's not a matter of running away. dogs can get lost. they can be stolen. you could have a car accident and the dogs get loose.

I have tags on the collar and microchip.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Bianca was tattooed(by the breeder), microchipped and always had a collar with several types of ID tags when we were out. My previous dogs were tagged and microchipped.

When on vacation I used to use a bag with written info on where/when we were staying on my previous dog before I had a cell phone. Now I just make sure I have a tag on them that includes my cell number. Bianca had a Boomerang Tags Collartag that had my home, cell, and vet phone numbers (labeled).
I also had IDs on my dogs seatbelt harnesses that included emergency info for when traveling in the car.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
none of my 3 would run away from home, they sit at the back door and bark or whine till i let them in, so none are chipped or tagged,
Mine would never run away either! If I put him on the other side of the fence, he would figure out how to get back- he is a super velcro dog. HOWEVER, it seems silly to not have any identification on a dog, what if you get into a car accident? There was an incident with a well-known agility trainer who got into a car accident and several dogs were tossed from the car and went missing.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
2 of mine are chipped and 2 aren't. All four have tags.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Mine is microchipped and tagged with her name, my name and my phone number. She wears her microchip tag as well, so that if she were lost and were brought to a shelter or animal hosptial it would make the process of getting her back to me that much quicker. Some shelters do not have updated microchip scanners, the one i worked at still was using this older one that only found microchips from a certain company- i did not know this, we finally have one that also finds HomeAgain chips as well as others (I have HomeAgain for Zelda)- anyways just a scary thought and is why i like her to wear her microchip tag as well so they have her number instantly and know she is microchipped.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Mine is tagged and will be chipped soon

·
Registered
98 Posts
Mine is tattooed (german breeder) german chip and them we did a US chip. She wears the microchip tag and has a tag with my husbands cell #.
I have been thinking about taking her collar off inside. I noticed most of you all do. Sometimes the constant ringing of 3 tags clicking against each (rabies too) drives me a bit crazy.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Right now he just has tags on his collar, but I am about to take him and get him chipped and actually order him a new collar so he will have plates with the information attached to the collar, his tags on the D ring , and be microchipped.

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Hans has an I.D. tag with his name and my cell number and is microchipped as well. The microchip tag is right next to the I.D. tag. Even though I know microchipping doesn't ensure that he'll be returned to me, at least I would feel like I did everything I could to make it possible.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Gypsy's breeder had her microchipped along with her littermates before we got her. She also has an I.D. tag on her collar with her name, our address and our home phone number.

·
5,627 Posts
All three are microchipped and so is one of the cats. No collars in the house but they always wear a collar with ID tag, rabies tag and license when we leave the house.

·
Registered
723 Posts
All my dogs and most of my cats are chipped, tattooed, and wear a collar and tag. I've got two cats that aren't chipped or tattooed, yet, but they will be eventually.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts