German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 60 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Three weeks old today!!!! I can't believe they are growing so fast. They are getting spunky for sure. Starting to play with one another. I've been letting them start to explore around the house a bit. They all seem very confident. Looking forward to the next couple weeks :laugh2:

·
Registered
27,228 Posts
Last weeks of peace before all H breaks loose. The new year will be a blast!

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
ah --- 3 weeks the beginning of the social stages beginning with the open gaping jaw that will latch onto a littermates nose -- the play snarling . Keep watching without interfering and you will see a pattern in traits .

4 weeks you will see the pups making social moves on you . Do not over do the biosensor thing. (see the sticky rethinking early socialization).

you want to pre-stress them -- give them pathways to handling stimulation , not shell-shock them and make them stressed

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
ah --- 3 weeks the beginning of the social stages beginning with the open gaping jaw that will latch onto a littermates nose -- the play snarling . Keep watching without interfering and you will see a pattern in traits .

4 weeks you will see the pups making social moves on you . Do not over do the biosensor thing. (see the sticky rethinking early socialization).

you want to pre-stress them -- give them pathways to handling stimulation , not shell-shock them and make them stressed

You nailed it! That's pretty much exactly where they are at. Many of them are showing some sas for sure picking on one another. I am noticing some consistent traits already. Kiersten and I are keeping a log book and add stuff as we see it. My entries last night to close out the week were not all that different from my previous entry. I'm really looking forward to how they progress.

I did re-read the early socialization thread this morning. I also read some of the articles posted. I'm not going crazy. I'm not really doing anything too different than I do for every puppy I've raised. For the most part Kiersten and I are quiet people. So during the day, I have music or sound effects playing. Nothing super loud. In the evenings we've been setting up a pen in our living room and bringing them out there for a couple hours. There are different sounds. TV noise, one of us cooking, Kimber going in and out of the dog door. The last two nights, we have let them explore a bit one or two at a time.

Edit: There are a few of them that are already making social moves. Follow us around the pen, come the the door or the box when they see us, biting on us a little. Starting to get fun.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Thats gotta be pretty exciting, seeing them change like this. Hopefully the owners will keep in contact with you enough for you to see what they grow into.

It really is. I like watching the day to day and watch them discover new things. Seeing their confidence of the unknown.

As of now, I only have three of the six spoken for. All working homes so far and people I know well. So I won't have any trouble seeing how they progress.

·
Registered
235 Posts
It really is. I like watching the day to day and watch them discover new things. Seeing their confidence of the unknown.

As of now, I only have three of the six spoken for. All working homes so far and people I know well. So I won't have any trouble seeing how they progress.
I wish I was a skilled enough handler and wasn't already bringing one home next week lol.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I'm enjoying watching this litter grow on Facebook. I especially like they way you train. I've watched your videos and posts and I love the way you train for real life type stuff; the building searches, bite work scenarios, and how you never train a pattern, so that during trial, it's the first time she sees the routine. I really respect that.

41 - 60 of 186 Posts