German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, sorry for the request on my first post. I did a title search in the forum for Syracuse with no luck.

Our household is looking to grow and we would like that to be a GSD. I grew up with them and would love for my children to do the same (3yr old and one on the way). Currently have a Boston Terrier that we adore. Did some googling and the GSD breeders that seem reputable are very far from home. I'd rather not travel hundreds of miles to meet the puppy, nor would I want to shove it in the van for the return trip home.

If needed, please PM me the info if it is not acceptable to post publicly in the forum.

thanks! :D

·
Registered
851 Posts
Well, the breeder I'm hoping to get my next pup from is down in Pennsylvania ... hundreds of miles from me here outside of Rochester, NY. Many others here travelled even farther to get a pup from a good breeder, so doing a bit of traveling for a well bred dog is not at all uncommon. That said, there was just a post on this forum about breeders in the Eastern/Central NY area, it should be somewhere here on the first or second page of this forum. That may have some useful info for you.

This is the post I was thinking of: http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/240250-help-need-breeder-wny-southern-ontario.html

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Be careful of Eichenluft

·
Registered
381 Posts
Be careful of Eichenluft
Could you elaborate or send me a PM with details? I have been putting together a list of nearby breeders based on recommendations from this forum.

·
Registered
27,249 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Hey folks, sorry for the request on my first post. I did a title search in the forum for Syracuse with no luck.

Our household is looking to grow and we would like that to be a GSD. I grew up with them and would love for my children to do the same (3yr old and one on the way). Currently have a Boston Terrier that we adore. Did some googling and the GSD breeders that seem reputable are very far from home. I'd rather not travel hundreds of miles to meet the puppy, nor would I want to shove it in the van for the return trip home.

If needed, please PM me the info if it is not acceptable to post publicly in the forum.

thanks! :D
I met a breeder from Syracuse at the dog show in Syracuse last weekend. I don't know anything about her, but she claimed to place dogs with the NYS police. Her kennel is Belle Isle, but I can't find out anything about her. Maybe someone here knows something about her.

·
Premium Member
11,248 Posts
Look at the dogs these breeders have and what they produce.....is there continuity throughout generations? Or are they just buying titled dogs and breeding them over and over and selling pups without regard to developing a family of their own. Are they mass producing pups? Do they always have pups for sale - just like any retail business.

There are some people around Buffalo who have litters occasionally - I think Alpenhof is actually over the border in Canada but comes to Buffalo alot for events...I have met her several times and would recommend her for the type of pup you want.

the one thing with recommendations is that people who have issues cannot say anything, and others who have dogs from the same kennel will be able to say as much as they want.....when a breeder produces literally 300- 400 - 500 puppies, they will have a cheering section....it is how the breeder treats people who have some problem that tells what their character and integrity truly is.

Lee

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Jody potter and deb zappia. Probably know a dozen plus (no idea at this point) of dogs they have bred. Occasionally get dogs/litters that are a bit much for your average person, but their 2 bitches they are currently breeding/will be breeding are super girls. They are between rochester and syracuse. I'm on my phone but you can pm me for more info.

·
Registered
381 Posts
There are some people around Buffalo who have litters occasionally - I think Alpenhof is actually over the border in Canada but comes to Buffalo alot for events...I have met her several times and would recommend her for the type of pup you want.

Lee
Alpenhof looks interesting. Are they German show lines? What type of temperament and drive would you expect from their dogs?

·
Registered
27,249 Posts
Alpenhof use to have Kirschental lines, I haven't kept up with the kennel to know if thats what they are still breeding.
IMO, Kirchental is a 'working' show line(herding)

·
Premium Member
11,248 Posts
Lee, I couldnt resist it, but this is a very deep phrase.... applies to almost everything.... I´ll tweet it...)

Luis - I don't understand 'tweet' ing....:confused: I don't tweet or twit! :p But yes - it is 'deep' and it is meant to be thought provoking....and yes, it does apply to life in general as well LOL LOL

Lee

·
Premium Member
11,248 Posts
Alpenhof looks interesting. Are they German show lines? What type of temperament and drive would you expect from their dogs?

Yes - they are West German showlines - Michelle is actually from Germany, and does not have a big kennel....I think she had some Kirschental dogs - which are pretty much typical show lines with usually one ancestral line that carried the kennel name back through - Kirschental did HGH on his show dogs rather than schutzhund, but really, the pedigrees of what they were selling after he passed were full of dogs who were VAs.

I have seen a few dogs Michelle has sold and a male or two she had at shows....Gerro Kirschental - who is gone now, the first time I met her, and the last time I saw her, she had an young X-box son up at the Regional show in Buffalo in June 2011....I did not make it up to Buffalo for any of their events last year because of the car wreck...I think she just had an X-box litter, but looks like it is reserved....the male I saw her showing from him seemed to have good temperament....

Lee

1 - 19 of 19 Posts