German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I haven't done real competitive obed. training for a real long time. I have found that methods are very varied and have changed alot since I did any showing. I have a 14 m/o puppy that I've done some classes with, I guess I'm struggling the most with heeling. I signed up for a 3 day Sylvia Bishop seminar in the spring. (auditor spot) Anyone know about her training methods? I know she's a Crufts winner and has BC's.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Samba showed me some of her stuff last year. I really like it! Samba knows a lot more about Bishop than I do though.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
I would recommend seeing Sylvia. She is a grand dam of obedience and created her methods in response to methods that were not appealing to her. Many top obed trainers have learned a good deal from Sylvia. She competed at Crufts several times and one of her wins was with a German Shepherd.

I have all her training materials. Missed getting to see her when she was in my area because of family commitment. Do hope to get to meet her personally some day.

I can't speak to her seminar exactly as I haven't attended. But, I would drefinitely recommend. She is very much about relationship in her approach to training.

Many of today's obedience methods were adopted from Sylvia. I hear she works in an individualized manner with each dog. But, that is key really. Wish I were attending also.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info Samba, I didn't know she had a GSD. I'm looking forward to this seminar. I would have liked to get a working slot at it but they went very fast.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts