German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hello i am sorry if what im doing right now is wrong :( im new
i am just in need of some help :) i have a purebred german shepherd named zoey she is 1 year old. I clean the yard regularly ( like pick up sticks,littler,etc)
but she still finds plastic bags and stuff. She also fimnds things and chews it which is normal but i dont know how to stop it !! i clean soo much and i just dont want her to swollow is and have a foren object in her because we had a dog that swollowed string and we got him opperated on and he still died ( rip bear you are in my heart everyday) and i would hate that to happen to zoey:paw: so if somebody has any idea on how to help that would be so great:)
P.S i live on a farm and she has a million toys :help:
again sorry im new

·
Banned
11,005 Posts
Is your yard fenced? Even with acreage you can still fence an area you can keep safe for the dog.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
if i lived on a farm and i was worried about my dog
eating something foreign i would build or have a
large kennel built. i would also walk him (leashed
if necssary).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well actually right now she is fenced in a huge back yard and she still finds foreign thing:confused: but soon when she stops wanting to chase our cats she will be able to be loose in the farm:) but right thins very minute i just took away fluff!! where would she find fluff?? thanks for the help
P.S when i say chase our cats i mean we are training her not to it is just the german shepherd instinct

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
keep the fenced in area free of things that can cause
harm. are you going to let your dog run free on the
farm after she learns not to chase the cats? if your dog
is running free on the farm that increases her chance
of eating things. what is fluff?

well actually right now she is fenced in a huge back yard and she still finds foreign thing:confused: but soon when she stops wanting to chase our cats she will be able to be loose in the farm:) but right thins very minute i just took away fluff!! where would she find fluff?? thanks for the help
P.S when i say chase our cats i mean we are training her not to it is just the german shepherd instinct

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Have you taught her the commands 'leave it' 'drop' and 'out'? If not, this should be your priority. Continually monitor the area your dog plays in for things that have just floated in and do a pick up. Until you help Zoey break this habit, she should not be outside alone and even if she stops chasing the cats definitely not allowed to run free on the farm.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
what is fluff?
This was the first thing that came to mind. But how it would get in the yard is beyond me.

What kind of things are you finding in your yard, and how are they getting there?
I agree with Twyla, the "leave it" command is crucial.

·
Super Moderator
18,672 Posts
You may have to walk your yard before putting her out each morning. She is also probably bored. Many dogs won't play with toys by themselves and need interaction with their people.

·
Registered
402 Posts
We have a lot of fluff in our yard in the spring when the cottonwood trees shed. There are a lot of things that Effie picks up to chew on that I think are ok. Sticks, fluff, leaves, clumps of grass from mowing... It sounds like you are cleaning up the yard really well. Definitely teach her "leave it", "drop it" and "out". If she is fenced in I think it sounds like you are doing everything you can.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Well, we have a white cat that sheds more than any animal I've ever met, and I frequently have to take little clumps of her fur away from Gable. Maybe the cats are a source of fluff?

Basically, your pup is going to find something it shouldn't eat anywhere. When I get Gabe in a supposedly secure area, he'll dig up a clump of dirt to eat. You just have to watch CONSTANTLY.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
by fluff i mean stuffign from a blanket and stuff and i know that stuffing was from when she destroyed her blanket but i clean the yard everyday but she finds really weird things like a pair of gloves?? empty bag a chips?? like where does she find that lol she is getting alot better with cats we have four fat barn cats that she wants to "play" with but shes getting better. It will take her while to be loose in our yard because of the cats,so for now she is fenced but i play with her and i know walk her , i play tug o war but she still just comes back with somthing weird??? Its not that i really dont like her digging and searching in the bushes for things, its good exercise but i dont want her to swollow somthing that could cause a blockage!:)

·
Registered
590 Posts
Buddy's not one to just chomp on anything, but Rey is. She unstuffs pillows, I've pulled sticks out of her throat, she bites bees, bit a toad once and her mouth foamed. You're just going to have to watch and also realize that you're partly paranoid about it because you lost a dog this way. I'm concerned about it with my dog, too, but I can't control where bees fly, etc. I just had to take her Wubba away after mowing over a turd in the back yard and seeing bright pink hippo Wubba ears that she pooped out in the yard. Sigh. Work hard on "drop it." I'm doing that now, but she still thinks it's a game and when I say drop it sometimes she'll grab something even faster and try to engulf it before I can take it from her. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ya i know what u mean KentuckyGSDLover
my dog is the EXACT same way i was cleaning out my porch once ( where they come in and sleep at night) and it was pouring rain so i had to put them outside in the rain so i could clean in there! i put i doggie blanket on the deck for them to lay on till i was done and when i was done i went outside just to see a doggie blanket out in the pouring rain being destryoed by zoey and ziggy. I ended up cleaning the dogs incased they swollowed somthing and a million pieces of FLUFF in the pouring rain :snowing:

·
Registered
75 Posts
We have a lot of fluff in our yard in the spring when the cottonwood trees shed.
I've had to stop Bella from eating a big chunk of cottonwood fluff - seed pods and all - once or twice. I also worry that she's going to snort up too much of the really fluffy fluff whilst schnuffling around for a nice place to squat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts