German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently noticed a large, ping pong sized growth on kuramas lymph nodes. She has no bites in the area as I thought it could be from one, no fleas or anything like that. The mass feels rubbery, hard but a little squishy, and moves a little under her skin. It doesn’t hurt her at all, which worries me, as if it were just an infection, it’d be painful. I’m scared this could be something a lot worse.. the last thing I could’ve thought it to be is from using her prong collar, which is right in the same area as the swelling. Maybe it could’ve damaged it instead of it being cancerous, but I feel like that’d be very painful as well.
Right now only one side has this swelling, I have noticed excessive water intake and she’s very itchy yet doesn’t have any fleas or mites as I’ve checked over and over again for any sign. I plan on taking her to the vet Tuesday, but came here to see what you guys may think. Kurama will be 5 months the 24th, i also did not get her from a Breeder, rather rescued her.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I think you need to get a vet to look at it, and probably biopsy it. Depending on what the cells look like under the clinic's microscope, they may need to send it out for pathology. It could be nothing. Or it could be devastating. With our rescue's dogs, I've had lumps come back both ways and there's no way to ever know for sure until the results come back. Only a vet visit can help you know the difference -- so get her in ASAP. (FWIW, the rule of thumb I've learned over the years is that hard masses are always more worrying than soft ones, but they nearly all need to be checked out.)

We'll all hold a good though for Kurama!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I definitely will. But until then, what do you think it could be? Just last night I was petting her and never noticed any bumps right there. Only one side has it.. could it be from her e collar ? I did leave it on longer than normal and mayve put it on too tight.. maybe an abscess in the area caused by that? My only thought is that it doesn’t hurt so I’m unsure about that. She’s so young, and this bump appeared so soon, it makes me not want to believe it’s cancerous. Can I get more info on the lymph node cancers from anyone ?
She is also about to grow out of her collar, * I actually got her a new one today * which was used to put her on a tie out for a little while yesterday, then put the e collar on. I didn’t inspect her neck during this, Could she have maybe messed something up there?
I’ve been getting bit by what looks to be spiders at night, maybe it’s a spider bite? I didn’t notice any marks but maybe that’s just the allergic reaction?

My apologies for writing so many assumptions, I just really hope I can come to a conclusion that’d make sense before I take her to the vet, even though they may tell me the devastating news which I hope not for.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Shasta has occasionally got small wounds from the e-collar if I left it on too long, or didn't get a good connection and it arced. Not ping pong size though. That is quite large. Just little lumps with a red spot in the center. You have to move the collars every 3 hours. If you go 5, it can cause issues I have learned.....

Do you see a red spot in the middle? Maybe a scab?

From what my vet has told me, hard and feels attached can be a problem. If it is loose, soft and moves around, it is less to be concerned about.

I wish you the best of luck. I hate stuff like this!!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sadly it is hard, and attached. I’ll keep the thread updated if anything else happens before I take her in, and when I do I’ll tell the news.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I could be nothing. You never know. Try not to worry too much until they get results!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I could be nothing. You never know. Try not to worry too much until they get results!

No, I wasn’t seeing any red spots. I remember a while back when I first used the e collar I saw the little red spots, I put medication over it and didn’t use collars for a while
I’m HOPING it’s nothing, It does move a little, I’ve never dealt with anything like this so I’m unsure how much it has to move to be considered ‘ unattached’, or what ‘ soft ‘ is. but with closer inspection, I can almost fully get my fingers around the mass and it will go back n fourth. Her neck and jaw bones are in the way a little though.
I’ve seen some reports of dogs getting lymph node cancer while using e collars or shock collars but I have a hunch it’s just a coincidence.
A couple people are telling me to poke a hole in it to see what comes out but I’m afraid and thinking I’m gonna let the vet do all of that, and if it is just a cyst caused by rubbing back n fourth or damage, I can figure out that way.

·
Registered
139 Posts
That does not look like it is from an e-collar, and E-collars do not cause cancer.

Do not poke holes!!!! Let the vet do it. You could do a lot of damage if you don't know what you are doing.

It may just be a fatty lump. I had a dog that had lots of them all over her body for years. They didn't mean anything. You won't know until the vet takes a look. I know it is hard, but try not to stress. It won't do you or Kurama any good.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I'll say it also: leave it alone. My boy has two lumps. One discovered as a pup. further down on the neck, hard and unmoving. The vet xrayed and aspirated it. It was diagnosed as calcium lump (calcinosis) which do to where it is, causes no harm. I just don't use harnesses since those may cause irritation. The second is more recent between his chest and his his arm pit. That was also aspirated by his new vet and diagnosis through aspiration was as she suspected, a fatty deposit, not a lymph node.

It was scary finding both lumps but very reassuring when a positive diagnosis from his vet was made.

Fwiw, aspirating a lump sounds frightening, but it really isn't. He was sedated for his first one. For his second one, his new vet was able to do it while I was giving him treats.

I hope you get good news and it isn't anything of real concern.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only thing I thought could be the e collars fault is irritating her skin and causing a cyst. I agree with them not causing cancer. I’ll definitely leave it alone and not tamper with it.
My gut tells me it’s nothing much but we will see once the vet examines it. Thank you guys for replying! I’ll let you know what happens with it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
** any people who know dog anatomy / anything look here please! ** Back to this thread, I’m taking her to the vet tomorrow at 3:10, but I’ve beeb inspecting salivary glands, and it seems to be more of what it is. I contacted a few people and they said the bump was a little too high and rounded off to be lymph node, which is a relief to me actually. It’s right on the spot of the ‘ mandibular gland ‘ and I have a feeling it mayve ruptured due to me putting on her e collar too tight and causing damage to it? Could that explain why it came up overnight? And why she’s slobbering so much?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
If she is slobbering/drooling suddenly and has this lump near her jaw or upper neck I would be sure to examine inside the mouth and possibly do neck x-rays. Many a dog have punctured the inside of the mouth/throat with a stick or other pointy object and had rapidly developing abcesses that seem to pop up out of nowhere. Watch for sudden development of fever, lethargy and loss of appetite while waiting on vet appt.

Hopefully it is just idiopathic benign cyst.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Have the vet do a tick tighter test. It should relatively inexpensive and your dog may be reacting to a tick bite.

Rick Bajackson

1 - 14 of 14 Posts