German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all. first let me say thanks for taking the time to read this post. my 10 year old german sheppards leg has swollen up just past the joint above his paw. Originally i put ice pack on it and had him resting along with Rimidil. . i felt it was a sprain. he was walking on it with no problem. Now 2 days later it appears that his whole leg from the original swelling up has appeared to have swelled up. i am bringing him to the vet first chance i can. what i am hoping is that if anyone can give me any knowledge or experience with something similiar to what i am dealing with. ive checked several internet sites and some are contradictory and down right rude in some instances. i hope this post or thread finds anyone who would kindly take the time to share some knowledge with me in regards to this situation. i thank you for any and all responses in advance and god bless you if you ever had to deal with a situation like i am having.
thanks

from
Connor

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the wierd thing is that i cannot understand is the way it just blew up out of no where. of course im taking him to doctors tommorow. but im heartbroken over this because he was fine in his morning walk and i come home 3 hours later and its just swollen. now the whole leg above the joint. to explain the way he is- because of his size 130lbs people would run away and he would charm his way up to them and make them feel secure to pet him. hes a people dog to the fullest. thank you so much for replying to this. it means the world to me. more then you can imagine.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
when you take your dog to the Vet place a towel or something
around him so you can support him when he's walking. if my dog
was 130 lbs i would get someone to help me put him in the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
when you take your dog to the Vet place a towel or something
around him so you can support him when he's walking. if my dog
was 130 lbs i would get someone to help me put him in the car.
hes guarding the leg. but yes i am taking him to the vet today. i can honestly say i am concerned by what ive read online

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
what have you read that you're concerned about? when i said
place a towel around him i meant place the towel under him.
you put the towel under him and you hold both ends of the towel
over his back so you're holding him up, helping walk by taking some
of the pressure off his leg. the towel acts like a sling. when i said
"if my dog was 130 lbs i would get someone to help me put him
in the car" i meant if my dog was 130 lbs with a bad leg i would get
help putting him in the car.

when you take your dog to the Vet place
a towel or something around him so you can support him when he's walking.
if my dog was 130 lbs i would get someone to help me put him in the car.
hes guarding the leg. but yes i am taking him to the vet today.

>>>>> i can honestly say i am concerned by what ive read online <<<<<

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I agree with taking him to vet. I have learned that these things do come on so quickly in our older boys. Does he have a good soft bed? I had bought an orthopedic mattress topper for my boys. Keep him comfortable, I hope for the best.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what ive read online is that it could be a tumor or a broken leg. or the circulatory system could be breaking down via an infection and that the edema has to have been caused by something. i know the doctor will recommend a xray which im prepared for. i can even handle a lasic where they drain the fluid out of the leg area. a tumor or cancer treatment i cannot afford or am prepared for

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well the doctor did the xray to determineand there was no cancer which i was relieved but he does have an edema. so he hooked up an iv and gave him fluids. his temperature is high which was causing diarhea. he also told me that connor is allergic to chicken and to not feed him that. because he was on rimidil, the doctor has given me a anti inflamatory, pain meds, anti biotic. because of the rimidil he didnt want to start the cortizone until its out of his system. so he will start that on thursday. so were not out of the woods yet but it definately looks promising then what i read on the internet when i hit google

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
my apologies just noticed to keep it simple. hes on meds and hopefully it will run its course and we will know more by next monday if it worked. if not possibly lasic

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Glad that there's no cancer! Simple fix for your boy is what I meant! This is a great site to vent and carry on about our dogs! Hope he continues to get better!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Glad that there's no cancer! Simple fix for your boy is what I meant! This is a great site to vent and carry on about our dogs! Hope he continues to get better!
thanks so much. hes starting to get his step back since being on the cortisone and the swollen is going down. thanks for all who assisted me and taking the time to read this and respond.

matt/connor :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts