German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I was wondering if anyone else has ever had this issue with their GSD or GSD mix: Three days ago we picked our guy Rancho up from a daycare facility where he's been going for the last 4 months on and off (usually no more than 3 days max) - this time he'd been boarded for 6 days. Upon bringing him home, I noticed he had a red rash all over his belly, chest, and arms, and a bit in his ears. The next morning I noticed his face was swollen (which is when we made the first vet trip).... He also had bad diarrhea.

After a couple of vet trips we discovered he has round worms (that explains the diarrhea and also the tiny white specs in his poop) he was given de-worming meds, and he was put on Benadryl twice a day which has cleared up his rash. The weird thing is that regardless of the Benadryl dose he is consistently getting floppy ears at night and into the morning. The swelling usually subsides by late morning or early afternoon.

Has anyone else ever heard of or seen something like this before? I attached a couple photos for reference of what his ears normally look like, and how they have been flopping over the last couple of days. When I touch his ears they are definitely swollen, but not tender.

He's never had any allergic reaction in our home before, and the daycare facility said they didn't start using any new cleaning products. He's on flea/mite/tick medications. The vet seems stumped and doesn't want to give him anything else until we clear up the diarrhea and round worms, which I agree with... but waiting is difficult as I always want to know what's going on especially when it's health related :(

Any ideas or thoughts? It's much appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Poor pup, bumping up in hopes someone with experience can respond...best wishes for a speedy recovery from whatever is causing this Rancho!

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Have you given him a very slow careful head to toe check for insect bites. Bee stings and spider bite comes to mind. Years ago we had a mix the may have been stung by a bee or some other bug. Broke out in rash and hives (particularly on his face). Ears got warm and swollen and fell. Vet gave a steroid shot and benadryl. Swelling receded and ears came up until the benadryl wore off then the ears would fall again. If I remember correctly (been many years) it took a few days of benadryl for it to clear up completely. Ears were fine after that. Until it happened again months later.
How long has this been going on? How often is he getting benadryl? Getting a dose to hold him through the night?

ETA: I see you said a couple of days.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, at this point it's been around 72 hours. It looks like one of his ears is standing up again for the time being, and the other one is still floppy. I couldn't find any sign of a insect bite/sting, but we have him on 50 mg of Benadryl twice a day. I would imagine once the roundworms are dealt with, if he's still having ear problems, a more aggressive treatment like a steroid shot would be the next step. Luckily the really bad rash has gone away and his face hasn't swelled up again! But the ear thing is really strange.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
It can take several days for an allergen that causes a more severe reaction to clear the system. The intermittent ear flopping could likely be a rebound reaction. Benedryl wears off and the reaction is still there because the allergen hasn't fully cleared his system yet.
Maybe there is room for higher or more frequent dosage of benadryl. General rule is 1 mg per pound of body weight 2-3 times a day. Check with your vet first but a third dose might be helpful for a couple days. Hope Rancho is feeling better soon.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Oh wanted to mention that if it was a bee sting it may be in the mouth. They get stung biting the bee out of the air. Inside the lips or roof of the mouth are common sites of bee/bug stings in dogs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts