German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
I have a 7yr old female GS. This morning noticed her face was swollen a bit. Long story short, it's a lot worse. She normally spends her time outside running around with my kids. I gave her two Benadryl 3hrs apart. I'm hoping it helps. She is still eating and drinking. Her face is warm to the touch and she had a swollen front paw too... Any other suggestions? No money for the vet, recently lost my job due to covid.

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
I'm hoping that photo is pre Benadryl???

My dog got into bees or spiders, not determined exactly, but Benadryl did the job. So I'm hoping it's the same for your girl!

No obvious abrasions on the leg either?

If the Benadryl doesn't ease the swelling, taking her to a vet is the only recourse!!!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I cannot tell you much. My guess is she is reacting to a sting (plant or animal) or bites. She might have found some of those nasty wasps that live in the ground during a her romping around.

Ice is good right away (good for future reference). Rest.

If you have a regular vet, I would suggest you call and ask for a recommended course of action. Most vets will tell you and not charge you if you are a patient.

Sorry not more helpful. Watch that her breathing is not affected.

🐾🐕🐾

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm hoping that photo is pre Benadryl???

My dog got into bees or spiders, not determined exactly, but Benadryl did the job. So I'm hoping it's the same for your girl!

No obvious abrasions on the leg either?

If the Benadryl doesn't ease the swelling, taking her to a vet is the only recourse!!!
Yes the photo was pre meds. I hate that this happen to her. I really hoping Benadryl does the job. Thank you for the advice.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Benadryl @ 1/mg/lb. If she’s 75 lbs, she gets 75 mg’s. Don’t be shy with it. Stuff works.

Depending on amount of stings, if that’s the case, I’ve had dogs with swelling that lasted two hours, but never more than two days.

Best of luck with her!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Call the vet and tell them you're short money and ask for recommendations. A good vet won't turn you away and may give you some free service

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Your dog needs vet care. It could be a sting but it could be something else that needs medication. Is there a low cost vet anywhere near you?

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
I see abrasions. Call a vet. Was she chasing something? Or fighting?
Most vets are pretty good about money if you are honest.

·
Registered
609 Posts
How's your dog today?
Do you have poisonous snakes in your area? Her facial swelling looks like my yearling horse did when she was bitten
by a water moccasin right on the upper nose. Her face swelled up so back she looked like a Halloween monster horse.
Sometimes you can find the bite marks but sometimes you can't.

I hope your dog is doing better by now.

·
Registered
5,866 Posts
Thrive Clinics inside of Petco stores have VERY reasonable exam fees -- like $30, though it varies by city. They are set up to be "discount" clinics that are less costly than traditional practices. (NOT Banfield/Petsmart--theyr'e expensive and not a good "budget" option IMHO).

She looks like she's suffering. :(

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Thrive Clinics inside of Petco stores have VERY reasonable exam fees -- like $30, though it varies by city. They are set up to be "discount" clinics that are less costly than traditional practices. (NOT Banfield/Petsmart--theyr'e expensive and not a good "budget" option IMHO).

She looks like she's suffering. :(
Agreed and I meant to mention that in my original post. She looks very sore and in pain. I hope it’s been addressed.

·
Registered
291 Posts
It’s probably a long shot but the watery eye looks awfully similar to spontaneous entropion. It doesn’t explain the nose condition unless the dog was in pain and was rubbing it for a while and actually scratched her nose.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts