German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 12 weeks old face is swollen. On the left side of his nose. I think its just happened. I'm not sure if you can tell from the picture. Should I bring him in tonight? Or this can wait until tomorrow? I called the vet at emergency clinic and he said its consider emergency if he has a hard time breathing. I don't think he does but I'm not sure. He has been very lethargic all day today though.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Did he just have his shots?

Mine had an reaction and her face swelled like that,as well as her eyes. I took her to the emergency vet and they gave her something.

If it were my puppy I'd take him to the vet now, but I'm a worry wart.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Only you can make this call. If I am very concerned about my dog, I take her in for peace of mind, it's like $30-$40 more to go in after hours at our vet, I don't mind paying the difference.

Have you checked teeth/gums? Looked up nose, taken a temperature? Eating, drinking, pooping and peeing normal? Does the swelling feel hot? Our previous dog would get swollen in the nose and ears with environmental allergies and one time ate a bee. Both times we gave benadryl. But your pup may have a completely different problem.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
face swollen, lethargic all day. i think you should be telling us what the Vet said
after the exam. i would have gone to the Vet or E-Vet asap.

My 12 weeks old face is swollen. On the left side of his nose. I think its just happened. I'm not sure if you can tell from the picture. Should I bring him in tonight? Or this can wait until tomorrow? I called the vet at emergency clinic and he said its consider emergency if he has a hard time breathing. I don't think he does but I'm not sure. He has been very lethargic all day today though.

·
Banned
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took him to the vet this morning. It was a different hospital. I choose them to try them out and also they were only one who can get me in early this morning. They can't find any bite mark so they said it could be either insect bite or allergy. She gave him two shots. Desamethasone and Diphenhydramine. They said this would help with the swollen face but they cannot determine what cause it or why he has been so lethargic lately. They want to run blood work on him. He weigh 21 lbs 8 days ago and now he weigh 19 lbs. His diarrhea is much better now but he is still on those prescription can food. I'm thinking of taking him back to his old vet and get blood work done. But it is so pricey. I want to make sure i'm not overreacting.

Puppy at 12 weeks should be active right? Sleeping four hours straight outside of the crate while theres a person in the house with him is normal?? He doesn't care much about his toy or his treat lately. He is still eating and pooping as usual. Just seem very lazy.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Hmm, they should be hyper in bursts, sleeping for a few hours is ok, puppy can sleep 20 hours a day, but should not be lazy or refuze treats =/, no throwing up?

·
Banned
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nope, no throwing up. Still finish his bowl. His physical was good. Temperature is right. He seems very skinny to me but from what I gather from this forum, 19 lbs at 12 weeks seems normal...

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Puppy at 12 weeks should be active right? Sleeping four hours straight outside of the crate while theres a person in the house with him is normal?? He doesn't care much about his toy or his treat lately. He is still eating and pooping as usual. Just seem very lazy.
I can't recall ever having a puppy who'd sleep 4 hours straight. They might sleep, then play for 10 minutes and then nap again. But never sleep 4 hours straight..outside of the crate...when someone was active in the house.

Even at night, a pup in a crate will get up and move around..

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Nope, no throwing up. Still finish his bowl. His physical was good. Temperature is right. He seems very skinny to me but from what I gather from this forum, 19 lbs at 12 weeks seems normal...
yep the weight is fine, skinny pup is a healthy pup =)
just a bit weird with the energy thing, unless maybe he is just very mellow? growing pains?

·
Banned
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yep the weight is fine, skinny pup is a healthy pup =)
just a bit weird with the energy thing, unless maybe he is just very mellow? growing pains?
He has never been like this though. He is not too hyper but he definitely not THIS laid back. He looks sick :(

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
You know your boy better than us. I will say however Rusty did sleep alot as a pup, but when he was awake...he was awake...a terror if you will! Sleeping 4 hrs straight with house activity seems odd to me.

I get from your posts in this thread that you are still concerned.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
You don't mention where you live. Could he have had a spider bite (like maybe a brown recluse)?

·
Banned
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sunflowers, yes I did. They have him two shots. They don't know what cause the swelling and guess its allergy.

Arycrest, I live in west Texas.

Courtney, yes his swelling got a little better. He has been playing a little more. We had a couple of fetch session and he is still as quick as normal. Ill keep monitoring him. If he still seems lack of energy by friday, ill take him to the vet to get bloodwork done.

Thanks everyone. You guys are the best at helping me with this little boy. He is our first ever so I very much need guidance through this puppy thing :)

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I'm glad he's feeling a little better

·
Registered
32,086 Posts
No, his weight is NOT fine.

You are saying that in 8 days, he has lost 2 pounds? so that at 12 weeks old he is 19 pounds? Ok, we have no idea how big boned, your dog is, how big he ought to be when he is full grown, but right now he should be growing, not losing weight. Not unless he was terribly obese when you got him. If you had said he was 19 pounds a week ago and now he is 20 or 21 pounds, that would be much better. For a net loss of two pounds in 8 days AND lethargy, and now swelling of the face, that makes me very nervous for a pup his age.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Selzer, our pup got sick and bounced two pounds down as well, after he was better he gained 5 within a few days! If a pup is sick he is going to loose weight from not eating/drinking, sometimes its mostly water and empty belly. Our vet told us it was normal. But i donno.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts