German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really hard to get pictures of a black dog, but does anyone know is this allergies or more? It started a few days ago on the right eye, and went away a few hours later... Then over the weekend the left eye swelled for a couple of hours and then it went away. I thought maybe she was allergic to the buffalo gnats that have been biting like crazy but today I just noticed it again and she has been in the house with me. Ideas? Should we go to the vet? I'm afraid by the time I get an appointment it will be gone again which is why I tried to get pictures.

·
Registered
9,721 Posts
Could it be the tree pollen? It is currently high in your area. Poor baby. Maybe try a soothing eyewash and if you're okay with Benadryl, but I would still go see a vet if this continues.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could it be the tree pollen? It is currently high in your area. Poor baby. Maybe try a soothing eyewash and if you're okay with Benadryl, but I would still go see a vet if this continues.
It could be. Cottonwoods are dropping cotton elms are dropping whatever it is they drop my allergies are killing me and the buffalo gnats are biting everything in sight. I will definitely take her in if it continues.

·
Registered
525 Posts
My boxer has this kind of thing happen once or twice a year. Usually it's his whole face though. His is caused from getting into stuff outside, usually being bit by a insect if some kind.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
Ouch - poor baby, is she pawing at her face? itchy?

make a saline solution - 1/4 tsp "sea" salt to cup boiling water - bring to room temp, split the solution (sep. for each eye) and soak a soft cloth (x2) and saturate the eye area with.

Are you a tea drinker, any herbals? cammomile or even reg. tea (tannins in black tea will help swelling), make a couple cups and apply the bags - re-wet in the tea as needed

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ouch - poor baby, is she pawing at her face? itchy?

make a saline solution - 1/4 tsp "sea" salt to cup boiling water - bring to room temp, split the solution (sep. for each eye) and soak a soft cloth (x2) and saturate the eye area with.

Are you a tea drinker, any herbals? cammomile or even reg. tea (tannins in black tea will help swelling), make a couple cups and apply the bags - re-wet in the tea as needed
Thanks! I am not a tea drinker, but I will go get some. Yes she is pawing at it a little. The swelling is already going down.. The swelling doesn't last too long. What concerns me is that it keeps coming back.

·
Registered
9,721 Posts
Because whatever it is that is irritating him is still on the fur.. I would do the saline thing and try to wash it off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts