German Shepherds Forum banner

Swollen ears

361 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Orphan Heidi 
#1 ·
So today my almost 10 week old puppy Raven had an allergic reaction to something, her ears were very swollen and just a bit above one eye,
She had some hives on her belly and some on the inside of her ears..we contacted the vets immediately and got booked in for a video call appointment
Long story short our vet is very sure this was in fact an allergic reaction to possibly a bite or sting
She had her second vaccination yesterday our vet said there was a very slim chance the vaccination could have caused the reaction but will put a note on her file to say it was a possibility...
We were told to give half a benadryl x2 a day.
Her eye is completely back to normal and her ears are getting there thank goodness.
Her ears were standing beautifully yesterday now one is almost flat and the other is leaning towards the middle of her head...I guess it's very superficial but I'm really hoping there is no lasting damage
But mostly I'm glad it wasn't way worse
I really hope this doesn't happen again.

#2 ·
We have some problems with certain vaccine manufacturers in my horse world. Some brands cause extreme reactions- won't eat for days, sore neck or injection site, lethargy etc. What I do is keep track of the brand/mfgr of each
vaccine your animal receives and keep a record of which ones triggered a reaction. And each year I have to remind my equine vet not to use certain brands. They're suppose to record the brand but sometimes they forget or don't check the records before vaccinating.
Also sometimes certain mfgrs. really promote their brands to vets w/ special promotions/gifts and the vets all suddenly
buy those brands and use them. It's usually the vaccine carrier in the shots that cause a reaction, not the vaccine itself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.