German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Deja's corners of her mouth (lips) are swollen, not extreme but noticeable. It doesn't seem to bother her. The color is normally black but now with pink spots. Vet thinks it's a grass allergy and I need to wipe it with antibacterial shampoo. The grass could have been exposed to Roundup several days ago but has been dry before she possible was exposed or on it. She does eat grass and spends quite some time outside when I am outside with her. Could it be that the grass' rough leaf surface irritate the lips?
Any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
You jarred a memory. My JRT use to be obsessed with tennis balls. That happened to her lips anytime we played on a football field. Turned out it was from whatever fertilizer they were using on the turf. Tennis balls pick up everything. I don't use them anymore..but I guess the point is she was having a reaction to fertilizer.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Is she rubbing her face on chairs, couch, fabric that you have cleaned recently? I haven't noticed anything like that with my guy but he does rub the sides of his face on things sometimes and I imagine if something in the fabric was irritating his mouth or he did it continuously, his mouth or lips could be affected as you described.

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is she rubbing her face on chairs, couch, fabric that you have cleaned recently? I haven't noticed anything like that with my guy but he does rub the sides of his face on things sometimes and I imagine if something in the fabric was irritating his mouth or he did it continuously, his mouth or lips could be affected as you described.
She never does that. it is actually healing right now. I only use tennis balls for fetching from water and then wrapped in an old sock to protect her teeth.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts