German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my 2 year old male neutered and he is extremely swollen in the "sac" area. I took him to the vet today and they said he must be having too much activity. We only took him for walks around the yard on his leash. Has anyone else had this issue? Is it normal? He was neutered 5 days ago on Friday. I wish I would have read the post below before we took him because I think I would have changed my mind about having it done.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
My 2 1/2 y/o had a terrible time with his neuter this past July. He did not bounce back for 2 wks. He was wretching, paranoid and in pain along with swelling. He was on antibiotics and pain pills. It took that long.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
It's normal. I've had a couple where I was like "wait a minute! Is this dog NEUTERED???"

Is the incision looking okay? No discharge? 5 days out is should be showing healthy healing skin, no angry red or other signs of infection. As far as the swelling, that will go down very soon. He may have some loose skin there for a while but at his age it will eventually tighten up and go away as well.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
I had an older foster dog that swelled up like a melon after being neutered.

Go out and buy 2 bags of frozen peas. Toss one in the freezer. Take the other bag and whack it on the counter top to break up the peas. Place the bag against the dogs groin area - on the swelling. Leave on until either the dog won't stay still or the peas are melted.

Toss that bag in the freezer and give the dog about 30 minutes before grabbing bag #2 and repeating the process.

Using TWO bags allows you to have one frozen and ready at all times.

Peas are the best because they are small and can shape themselves nicely.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the quick replys. He's got bruising but the incision looks fine. He is also acting normal and would run around if I would let him. I guess I feel better now and Im just gonna have to wait for the swelling to go down after time. I think the frozen peas is a good idea. Ill try that and tks again.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Originally Posted By: Lauri & The Gang Go out and buy 2 bags of frozen peas. Toss one in the freezer. Take the other bag and whack it on the counter top to break up the peas. Place the bag against the dogs groin area - on the swelling. Leave on until either the dog won't stay still or the peas are melted.

Toss that bag in the freezer and give the dog about 30 minutes before grabbing bag #2 and repeating the process.

Using TWO bags allows you to have one frozen and ready at all times.

Peas are the best because they are small and can shape themselves nicely.
Maybe you should mark the peas so you can throw them away when he is all healed and dont accidentally make them for dinner one night,too.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Quote:Maybe you should mark the peas so you can throw them away when he is all healed and don't accidentally make them for dinner one night,too.
Why couldn't you make them for dinner? They're in a plastic bag, after all.

·
Super Moderator
32,309 Posts
I'm thinking that letting the peas defrost and then refreezing them repeatedly would cause the texture to suffer. They're certainly not going to hurt you, but they'll probably be mushy and icky.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My german is 8 1/2 months old. He is going Monday to be neutered and declaws removed, does anyone have any help for me? We can pick him up that night at 5 pm and then we are leaving for a trip the next day which he"ll be traveling in a car that the sits do fold down and he'll have alot of room to relax. About 8 hours we'll stop for him many times if needed. Just wondeering how he'll feel? Thanks

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
Honestly, I think that planning a trip immediately after your dog has surgery is very bad timing. What if a medical emergency related to the surgery happens? Would you want to take an 8 hour car trip after a surgery?

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
When I had Dodge neutered at almost 3, his sac area also became very swollen,,(looking like he hadn't been neutered!)

My vet told me, neutering older dogs , there are alot of blood vessels involved some are not tied off, and can lead to swelling, from to much exercise mostly..If I didn't get the swelling down, it would have to be aspirated, cold paks did the trick..

I also agree with Diana above,,taking a long car trip would not be on my agenda after having my dog neutered and his dewclaws removed..I'd think the dewclaw removal would be a tad more painful than the neutering,,
Diane

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
Why the dewclaw removal?

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
If the dew claws aren't attached by bone, then it wont be a problem.
On that note, I also, wouldn't recommend driving 8 hours after any surgery. Your dog will likely feel as you would. They feel tired, light headed, pain, and in some cases, pretty sick to their stomachs. If there is any chance in you leaving him where he is for the night to sleep it off, I would.
Why are you removing the dew claws?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts