German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, we've had a really rough day with Shadow. We took her to the vet today because she'd thrown up four or five times and looked unwell. I was expecting to be told she had gastro. She has since had surgery for what appeared on xray to be an obstruction, the vet rang me and said once open they couldn't find any obstruction. However she has swollen lympth (spelling?) nodes in her abdomen, he said if she was an old dog he would be concerned and would want a biopsy, but Shadow is only 13 months old and has no history of anything else and this vomiting was sudden in on set. He asked if we wanted to biopsy, but he wasn't recommending it. I said no. (I hope I've done the right thing). The vet said he's certain she is going to have the runs by tonight. He said perhaps she has eaten something that is taking it's time passing threw her and has irritated her tummy, which in turn maybe why the nodes are enlarged. He said we could look at taking her home either late tomorrow or the next day. :(

Any one else have any explanations as to why her lympth nodes would be swollen? Any prayers or well wishes for Shadows speedy recovery would be most welcome. Thanks everyone, this has been one heck of a day.:confused:

·
Registered
77 Posts
In humans at least, it's common for lymph nodes to swell when you're sick; they're part of the immune system, so the dog could just have virus or infection or something. However, lymph nodes are also common sites for cancers, and thus the concern in older dogs. It's significantly more likely that the dog's just sick at this age than cancerous, so there's no real reason to put it through a biopsy.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I have no knowledge to impart but just wanted to send all my best healing thoughts and prayers to Shadow and some big :hugs: for you. Hoping she can come home tomorrow.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Wishing for a speedy recovery for Shadow, and that she's back home with you soon! :)

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Oh poor Shadow!! Wolfie and I send well wishes and healing prayers to her.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again for the well wishes. We have called the vets office several times for up dates, so far no more vomiting, however the receptionist couldn't confirm with the vet or the nurse because they were tied up with another patent but it doesn't look like she is eating. :( It also sounds like she hasn't pee'd or poo'd . :( I told the receptionist she wont go to the toilet inside, she said they took her out, I replied she wont toilet in public. She is also a very fussy eater. We are going in to see her tonight, I'm in the process of boiling chicken and rice, hopefully she will eat if we feed her, hopefully she will go potty if we take her.
The receptionist did say Shadow appears very bright eyed and settled, so that something I guess. Anyway will up date once we know more.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She's home. :) She was very happy to see us. When we got home my son took her straight out to go potty and she pee'd about a gallon and then did a poo. :) She is now resting in front of the air con. We take her back in 2 weeks to get the stitches out and for a follow up. I will ask lots of questions at that appointment I'm sure. This whole episode has cost about $600, which isn't to bad. Thank goodness we have insurance.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I am so happy to hear she is home!!!! Please give her a big hug from us in QLD :hugs:

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Glad to hear that she's home and doing well. When I got Wolfie, my breeder told me that GSD's are very shy when it comes to going potty. They don't usually like going in front of strange people, and they don't really like to be watched while doing their business. Sounds like Shadow was just acting like a typical GSD.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys/girls.
Shadow and my oldest son slept in the lounge room last night with a mattress on the floor so she wouldn't attempt to jump up on his bed.

She is a little restless/irritated, but I think it's mostly because where she was shaved is really itchy. :( Does anyone have any suggestions to help re leave itchy shaved skin.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts