German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have fed raw for years but its been a while since I transitioned one to the diet so I can't quite remember what's normal in that process. We started giving Ruger (5.5 months old) raw chicken necks and legs about a week ago. I still give him kibble as we are finishing off what he has left. However, his tummy has been upset the last two days and vomited in his crate. Poo has been looser, but nothing to,worry about as it is normal when switching diets. However, one thing completely out of the ordinary is that he urinated in his crate last night. Is it possible that the upset tummy caused him to have the accident or are they probably unrelated??

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Raw and kibble digest at different rates, so some dogs cannot tolerate both together. I think when transitioning to raw, its better to just quit kibble cold turkey...someone correct me if I'm wrong! The urinating - might be related? How old is he? I'd watch him and if he keeps urinating, take him in just to be safe.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's just over 5 months old. He has only ever had one accident in the crate. That was in the first month we brought him home. He never urinates in the house, even with the upset tummy. That's why I thought it might be related....it was over night and he probably tried to tell us he had to go out, which he never does at night. Weird that this started when the tummy thing started. I feed the raw first as they digest that faster. He gets the kibble in the AM and then the raw in the evening. Worked fine and he seemed to enjoy it. I thought maybe it could be because he is still teething?? I know with babies, they get fevers and upset tummies...what about doggies??

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Most likely you are OVER feeding him.

If you plan to feed both kibble and raw you need to do two sets of calculations.

First, figure out how much kibble to feed him then cut that amount in half.

Then figure out how much raw to feed - broken down by RMB, MM and OM - and cut each of those amounts in half.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did cut the kibble in half and did the same with the raw. He is transitioned now and seems to be doing okay with it. Outside of that isolated incident, that is the only trouble he seemed to have had. Not sure of it was related to the diet transition or not. Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate any help I can get :)

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
Raw has a significantly higher moisture content than kibble which is probably why your pup had an accident in his crate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts