German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Lulu on orejins large breed puppy and this has been going well for us since I got her back in November. But that's almost $70 maybe a little bit more and the cost of it is really starting to way on my budget. I've heard of other people liking Acana. And with a $30 price difference I'm willing to see the light if I can get a good switch. Lulu is about 9 months old which would be the best brand to switch her to?

Both are five star foods one just has 5 different proteins the other has 3 from what I understand.

If you wanted to switch from the O. large breed puppy to A. Which would you choose and why?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I don't feed either one, but if I were you I would first shop around online and see if I could find a better price. If you can't and want to try the other brand, I would do it slowly over 3 weeks so as to avoid any digestive upset.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I used Acana for a while when the dog food I was using went on recall. I liked it quite a bit. I used the Wild Prairie (I think it was called) and paid $55/bag and every 10 bags was free. When they had their oven burn up in the fall, I had to switch to something else again, as the food wasn't available locally for awhile. I would go back to it, but now the food has gone up quite a bit, so it's not in my budget anymore.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I don't use either, but I have a few words on switching as I have switched Ranger's food twice. When I got him I had to feed him Iams as that is what all Seeing Eye pups eat. When we adopted him I wanted to switch him to Canidae like my other dog ate. I did it gradually but Ranger still got lose stool immediately so I reluctantly went back to Iams. Then someone told me to use pumpkin to keep the stool solid during the switch. So I did and it worked wonders. I recently have been switching both dogs to Wellness whitefish and once again Ranger initially had problems. Added some pumpkin and gave it a few days and he is doing great on the Wellness now.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i never fed puppy food and i'm always switching brands
and flavors. i don't do a gradual switch and my dog has never
had a problem with switching brands. sometimes he has one
brand in the am and a different brand in the pm.

once you find a brand that your dog likes you can always
add some fresh meat, fowl, fish, fruit, veggie and a lot of
other things.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts