German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, for the 3 years that we have had our male GSD (from 7 weeks old), we have fed him the diet that the breeder was using. His breeder is a large well known US show lines kennel.

This is Eukanuba Adult (since about 8-9 mo), white rice and a couple of tablespoons of a good canned dog food. 2 meals a day.

Speaking of Eukanuba - the last bag I bought was in a very different bag and i wondered if they have changed the formula, but when I asked the store people they said no - same thing as before. But Baron has another case of the big D, and we just started on the new bag a day or so ago. Anybody hear anything about any formula changes? Any place to look?

He seems to have done very well on it with no real health problems, nice coat and nice weight.

BUT, he does seem to have a very sensitive stomach and gets a lot of diareah and will get it if we give too many treats, for example.

I am thinking about switching to a higher quality dry food (cost is not a real consideration since we have only one dog so it is not a major issue).

What I would like to inquire about is what are the higher quality dry foods, and should I continue with the rice with it?

And what improvement can I reasonably expect if we switch to a better dry food - is it noticable and if so how?

The canned dog food is really just for taste I think.

BTW, Baron is a great eater and eats everything with no hesitation.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
There are a lot of very good dog foods out there...Orijen, Wellness, Tast of the Wild, etc. There are a lot of threads on here about the different foods. I'm sure someone will post more info. I personally would not feed Eukanuba to my dog. But thats a personal preference.

Right now I feed my dog Blue Buffalo Basics Salmon and Potato and I add a 1/2 cup or so of Canidae Salmon dry to it as well. She loves it. I went grain free with her and she isn't itchy and her coat is beautiful and shiny. Since she has been on the Blue Buffalo she hasn't had an issue with the diarrhea at all.

Just do your research and find what works best for your dog. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I would skip the rice and just do the kibble if you decide to keep feeding kibble.

What canned are you adding to it? Although the bags changed they said the formula didn't.

I would try to figure out why he is getting the poopies....have you done the dry by itself? Could the extra fat in the canned be causing it? Have you tried some pumpkin in a can to firm it up some? Is there any stressors that are occurring when the Big D happens? Has your dog been tested for parasites?

Each dog is going to do differently. What works well with one might not work well with another.

Mine has done well with grain containing foods (Eukanuba, Iams and Kumpi). Not as good on the grain-free kibble - lots of gas and the stool not as firm. But right now I'm doing more raw than anything. And the poops are all good. I still mix some kibble in right now with it as I was sick and needed to feed something I had not made enough raw to get me through.

·
Super Moderator
32,586 Posts
Definitely skip the rice - dogs don't really need grains in their diet and there's some in the kibble already. And if he's a good eater I'd probably skip the canned too, but there's no pressing need to. What brand does he get?

Eukanuba is not a great food, so I'd for sure look for something better. What major stores are near you, or do you have a smaller independent store in the area? Petco has a much better selection than Petsmart, and Pet Food Express is better than both of them. Some of the highest quality foods, such as Orijen, are not going to be found in any of the chains. I buy it at a couple of boutique stores, one right in town, and another not far from work. The parking situation sucks at the second store, but they do have specials of 10-20% off (I get a postcard good for the month of each of my 4 pets' birthdays!), and frequent $10 or $20 off coupons throughout the year, plus a "buy 12 bags get one free" program.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I switched to Orijen after Xander got a bout of the big D...I don't know for sure what caused it but I had been mulling over switching anyway.

I like the Orijen a lot - his coat is super shiny, his poops are smaller and firmer and he's eating less but still growing at the appropriate rate (just had a vet visit yesterday and he's right on target).

So - I would def. switch from Eukanuba. There are several good dog foods out there. I used this site when researching what to switch to:

Dog Food Reviews - Main Index - Powered by ReviewPost

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
You have received good advice.
I have had very good luck with Origen. I am sure you will get many other recommendations.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Just remember that because you're switching to a food that contains less filler, the dog needs less of the food. Very often, people have issues with diarrhea when switching to a higher quality food, because they are feeding too much of it.
I agree, if I feed Brody too much...the outcome isn't the prettiest!

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I have to give a nod to Orijen too. I switched to it (very slowly) and after 6 weeks we are feeding 100% Orijen. My dog looks MUCH better than she did (of course we were feeding garbage before) and she has more energy. She has put on about a pound since the switch, but that was needed, she had been steadily losing weight over the last year or so. I'm very pleased with Orijen, but that is not to say there aren't other great foods out there. You just have to find the one that works for you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts