German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After Innova's recall, I switched my dogs to Merrick Whole Earth Farms. I was happy and my dogs were doing well, til they finished their 30 lb bag. Then last week I went to buy a new one and when I opened it and grabbed some of it with the scoop, I noticed it was full of "dust" (kinda like what you find at the bottom of a dog food bag, like powdered/broken pieces of the kibble). I tried to dig a bit more, trying to see if it was only like that on top, and no, it was still "dusty" with some pieces of kibble... well, in pieces. It all looked like what the leftovers at the bottom of a bag!
I don't know if this is old kibble or it was not handled properly or what, but I'm not going to feed it to my dogs.

So the next day I took it back to the store, I went to a different store since they were out of that same food, and I opened the new bag in front of the employees. It looked fine (I forgot to bring my scoop), they all said, "it looks ok to me!" (yeah, of course...)
When I came back home I grabbed the scoop, and surprise! It was the same! The first bag did look worse though, this one seems to be slightly less "dusty". This time I had no choice since I couldn't go back to exchange it, and I gave each of them a beef steak for dinner (poor dogs! lol) and then in the morning I went through the bag trying to get "clean" kibble as best as I could, and they ate that yesterday and this morning. The dogs have been fine btw.

Still, I'm taking it back! But now I don't want more of the same brand, since I will most likely get another bag like this.

Now, what other options for food do I have? I bought this at Petco, they have Natural Balance, and I was thinking of that one.
Has anyone had experience feeding it? Or can anyone recommend something good that I can find at that store?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
We used to feed natural balance. We didn't have issues with it, but we switched to blue buffalo and all the dogs are doing great on it. We still feed natural balance loaf for the morning meal with the BB kibble.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I couldn't edit anymore, but I have to say I won't touch Blue Buffalo ever again, the other Merrick classic bags are very expensive, and my stomach hurts cause I can't afford giving all three of them a good balanced raw diet and I don't know what to feed them anymore. :(

Thanks, trcy! Can I ask what variety of Natural Balance were you feeding?

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
I fed NB fish & sweet potato for many years to our tender-tummied girl who passed of hemangio last year. It stinks like cat food, but it was the only food that worked for her, and she loved it. If you don't have ingredient issues, you might start with the blue Ultra variety (as it's less expensive than the L-I-D varieties) and see how the dog does.

NB is a decent food, for the cost. There are better foods for more money, but this is a pretty good quality, reasonably priced option IMHO, esp. when it goes on sale pretty regularly.

If you start feeding any type of NB, be sure to sign up on their website for "Club NB" as they periodically send out coupons and provide super-quick notice to their email list, if there's ever a recall.

If you have access to Costco, the Kirkland brand is made by Diamond and has an ingredients list that looks a lot like Taste of the Wild -- it's probably the best deal out there for value (very reasonably priced for pretty good quality).

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I was feeding venison and brown rice until it was recalled....after that just the basic one good for puppies through adult. Then my older dog got a grain allergy, so we switched to a grain free recipe, but his allergy has only gotten better since switching to the grain free Blue Buffalo wilderness food and giving him extremely small amounts of the loaf food ion the mornings.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
there's plenty of good food out there. you shouldn't
have a problem finding a good food.

·
Registered
414 Posts
My older one is eating Wellness Core, and I've noticed the last bag has been full of crumbs. We're switching soon anyway, but it is annoying.
My younger dog is eating Dr. Tim's Kinesis, the grain inclusive one, and is doing great. Previously I had her on Fromm Gold, and then she decided she didn't want it anymore. She is mostly black and so I did notice she had developed dandruff while on Fromm. It went away after eating Dr Tim's for a month or so. Dr Tim's is made at Ohio Pet.
We did try Natural Balance with our previous shep, Frieda, as the vet wanted her on a LID food. No problems with it, but she wasn't crazy about it, but she loved Fromm, so I guess it just depends on the dog.

·
Registered
128 Posts
for food allergies, and stomach issues, my vet suggests to go with a fish and potato food and not a bit of meat or chicken (not even in treats) for at least 10 weeks. make a "hard switch" so the dog's system doesn't associate the new protein with the fish protein. After 10 weeks, if the dog is doing well, it can be kept on the fish or switched to anything.

it works for me, and after 10 weeks, my dogs are much happier and healthier with whatever feed I give them.

sounds like the powdery feed had weevils in it. could be a storage issues with the pet shop where you are purchasing.

·
Registered
61 Posts
We use natural balance and its been working well! we use the blue bag (large breed puppy) and mix some of the nutro max puppy wet food with it. He loves both so it encourages him to eat more since hes a picky eater.

I'd look around on those food rating sites because some of the natural balance bags rate higher than the nutro max, but the nutro max wet food is better than the natural balance wet foods if I remember correctly

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you, thank you so much for your replies! I'm definitely going to start mixing some of the "cleaner" WEF kibble I coud get from the bag with NB Ultra. I'll pick a bag up today. I was trying to go to the store yesterday, but I couldn't get there before they closed. :(

there's plenty of good food out there. you shouldn't
have a problem finding a good food.
Thanks! The thing is I have tried so many brands and most of them didn't work or I will never ever buy again, and I can only get a few good ones locally.

sounds like the powdery feed had weevils in it. could be a storage issues with the pet shop where you are purchasing.
EWWW! Now I definitely don't want to give that to my dogs! I had just thought it could be it was old or it had somehow crumbled while being transported, or something. :/

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I also fed NB sweet potato and fish after a prelim. diag. of EPI. It turns out that ramsey had terrible food allergies He did great on the NB. Coat was nice and no more stool problems. However like every other mfg. they got on the band wagon and the price went up. I never thought i would say this but i'm feeding Purina Pro Plan select sensitive skin and stomach formula with Salmon and have even better results with it. Also it doesnt stink like cat food.

·
Registered
586 Posts
i've been feeding wolfy Natures Variety Instinct dry kibble. It's a really great line of food. It can be pricey in stores but you can get a 13pound bag for about $36 with free shipping online.. I can send you links if you want.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts