German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, Nara used to eat her poo as a pup. She would also eat our cat's poo. She once even got a taste of horse poo. She never ate other dog's poo though. Weird. Well, it got to the point where I'd have to take her out in our yard on lead to potty and the only way to ensure that she wouldn't eat poo is to pick it up right after she goes. None of the poo eating deterrents worked with her. She started to mature and outgrow her poo eating, but just when I thought I could trust her (like after going many months without eating her poo) she would let me down and try to give me puppy kisses with poo breath. Ick!

We eventually switched to a completely raw diet. Nara had been on a grain-free kibble diet the first 2 years of her life. Since going raw, she hasn't eaten her poo once. I could go a few days without being able to pick up her poo, and she would not even think about touching it. Based on the long term cost of a raw diet, we realized that, with our third addition (Beowulf) we could no longer afford to feed raw. It was going to cost us over $11,000 the next 3 years, and that's money we need to invest elsewhere as a priority (like fixing up our new house we just bought, or getting out of debt, or paying for our children's private school education).

So, my big fear was that Nara would go back to eating her poo. They had been on a raw diet for about 8 months. I put them back on a kibble blend of Wellness CORE (to solidify their stool), Orijen Red Meat, and Acana Lamb, and it seems like Nara forgot that she liked to eat her poo. Either that, or it's just not attractive to her anymore as she's matured and is becoming an adult dog. Before the switch to raw, Nara might've eaten poo once every 6 months, if that. It was more common and happened more often when she was a puppy. I recently had surgery and was unable to walk, so I couldn't go outside and do my daily poo sweep for over a week. Nara would still go outside every day, and not once did she eat her poo. I think the switch from kibble to raw might've helped train her, because I would be outside with her and watch her approach a pile, sniff it, raise her one front leg off the ground (for some reason) and then walk away in disgust! Haha. Now that she's back on kibble, she still does that.

I know a lot of people post about how to get their dogs to stop eating poo, and the ONLY way that worked for us was to follow them EVERY time and pick it right up, or to switch them to raw. I am the self-proclaimed POO MASTER because that was the most difficult thing I had to work on with Nara, and my life was fully absorbed in all aspects of doggie doo, from handling it to analyzing it to determine our dog's health! Lots of fun! Hahaha.

Good luck to everyone else suffering through this! I know I love doggie kisses, but I'm not very fond of poopie kisses! Now I'll never have to worry about that again, and Nara can kiss me 24/7!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Well I'll be surfing this forum for this topic. We just got our new puppy yesterday and I found him eating his poop in his crate.. hard to catch him in the act. I only see the remains when we get back !!! Gosh !!

·
Registered
972 Posts
mine eats poo too! my boyfriend insist that he must be sick but i tell him hes not, he just like poo

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mine eats poo too! my boyfriend insist that he must be sick but i tell him hes not, he just like poo
No, it's definitely normal and common in many dog breeds. However, it's still GROSS and most would prefer if their dog didn't do it. So, I tried everything to get Nara to stop when she was a pup, and like I said, the only solution other than letting time mature her (along with constant training/corrections), was to pick it up seconds after she went, and crate her when I couldn't watch her. Once she was housebroken and crate trained, she knew not to go in her crate because that was her den. Sometimes I would take her out on a leash just to be able to watch her more closely, and tug her away if she even thought about turning around to sniff and lick it. As she got older and matured, plus with the temporary switch to a raw diet, she seems to have forgotten this terrible habit.

I'm not sure how many raw feeders have dogs that eat their poo, but Nara never once ate hers while on raw. I've been told that the processed kibble comes out less broken down than the raw, which is why it's still tasty in poo form, since it still has a smell and flavor more similar (than the raw would) to the kibble that they ate in the first place. I've also read about how wolves in the wild eat their poo to cover their tracks, but people have said that this is not something dogs do, so it's not a reason for poo eating.

Either way, raw worked, and obviously picking it up right away so poo piles are never sitting out in your yard to be snacked upon will work every time to deter poo eating!

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I lied. Today Nara was outside for maybe 15 minutes while we were making breakfast. I always go to the window every chance I get to monitor the "play" and to watch them chase and wrestle and have fun. I saw Nara licking the ground and I knocked on the window. I then instantly ran out to pry open her mouth and smell her breath, and sure enough: POO BREATH! I found where she was licking the ground and there was half a poo pile left. I can usually tell by the size and the pattern whose poo it is, but I could not with this. If she's eating her own poo like she did before, then I could switch her back to raw, and leave Beowulf and Paw Paw on kibble for now. If she was eating their poo, then she's doomed to a life inside at all times unless supervised every time she has to go potty, at least until I can trust her again. This is truly frustrating. I thought she had matured beyond this nasty habit. Guess not. Again, eating raw and always picking up poo is the only way to curb this. I'm so angry at myself for letting this happen after she's gone a year or so without doing it. ARGH!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Eating cat and horse poo is normal, but not a dog eating her own poop. At least raw seems to solve the problem!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Glad she's not eating her poo anymore! Thats a funny name...Poo Master lol :)

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I let myself down, because I can't say she let me down. I worked a tough work schedule these last 2 weeks, where I went to work before the sun came up and returned home after the sun went down. I didn't have time or daylight to find all of the poo piles to pick them up. But it's been a year or longer with zero incidents, so I thought she could be trusted. I'm only able to pick up the poo on the weekends, and when I take them out at night I bring a flashlight, so if I see them going, I'll get that one pile. I'm going to alter my work schedule next week to get home before the sun goes down.

Will she ever outgrow this? Or will I have to worry the rest of her life?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I hope dogs outgrow eating poo. Mine is 1.5 years old and eats OTHER dog poo if it's fresh. Gross. I stopped taking her to the dog park (which she loves) because she kept eating the poo. A friend has a dog from a previous litter and she likes to eat other dog's poo as well. Maybe it's genetic.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts