German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I currently feed a non grain free kibble to my dogs and supplement with fresh chicken and salmon at alternating times due to the digestion rates and activity level. I am thinking about switching to a grain free food and was looking for thoughts on grain free vs non grain free foods? Any advice would be welcomed :). Keep in mind these dogs aren't GSDs so the salmon is breed specific. Thanks. I am also getting a GSD in about 6 weeks so any advice on a kibble for a GSD puppy would be welcomed also.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Well, I use to be all for kibble, grain kibble. I am also a new puppy owner.. People on this forum introduced me to raw food, I thought it wasn't good at first but after doing my research I don't plan on feeding my dog or future dogs kibble.

I do not know about grain free kibble, but all I know is grain is not a part of a dog's natural diet. I would recommend raw food, if you can, I am so happy I switched to a raw diet, I am seeing all the positive differences on this new diet!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have huskies and Malamutes right at the moment anyway lol and it is just too pricey to do for them...wish I could. They do get salmon and chicken on a schedule so they don't eat all kibble but your right, optimally feeding raw is the best way to go. I have never done it with a puppy though and haven't done a lot of research on it as far as puppies are concerned. Any suggestions on that? Anyone else is welcomed to chime in as well :). Thanks Dann

·
Registered
111 Posts
Preferably at 8 weeks he can eat just about anything! Maybe chicken wings a bit later. It is actually cheap if you can buy in bulks and if you know a butcher or a slaughter house and what not. If you ever plan on starting raw.. You can always send me a private message, I'll give you the meal plans and the portions and all!

It is also hassle free, no cooking and whatnot! Also don't be scared about parasites or bacteria or bone choking. A dogs digestive system is tough, it's built for these things; plus when the food is frozen the bacteria is like paralyzed and it won't spread! And for the choking.. Just make sure your dog isn't a swallower, be with him and see if he is chewing properly. NEVER COOK chicken that contains bones, they can be very dangerous for your dog!

·
Registered
4 Posts
For grain free dry kibble my dog has done very good on Natural Balance Venison limited ingredient. My guy is allergic to chicken and has bad allergies but I noticed the grain free kibble did help him :)

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
My puppy came to me with a bag of kibble that had some grains in it. She was very itchy for the first week I had her, but I switched her to a grain free kibble and most of the itching went away. I do supplement with salmon and coconut oil as well, but I get compliments all the time about how nice my dog's coat is and I think that definitely is based on what you feed. Never have tried a grain kibble to know if I"d have the same results :)

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I had all my dogs on grain free, my the GSD puppy had issues with it. Per my vets instruction he now eats adult kibble with grain. We fee Blue buffalo to all the dogs. My oldest dog is on grain free because he gets yeasty pads. It's due to an allergy.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Diamond Naturals is a good grain free food - my dog loves it and the price is reasonable for a 40 lb bag of dry dog food. :)

·
Registered
345 Posts
We switched our dogs to Go! Fit and Free. Their coats are great, and after the transition, their poops were great.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the suggestions everyone!! I will look into a couple of them for my GSD puppy. My dogs are on 4health Salmon and potato right now and do great on it...I just know grain isn't the best. I feed smoked salmon and ground chicken breast and turkey to them as well as a supplement to the kibble. Anyone have experience with grain free 4health? If I had better local connections I would feed raw but unfortunately I do not. Any suggestions for the GSD? The breeder feeds raw....which isn't a help lol. Also for GSDs at what age do you guys switch from puppy kibble to adult? Thanks again everyone :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions everyone!! I will look into a couple of them for my GSD puppy. My dogs are on 4health Salmon and potato right now and do great on it...I just know grain isn't the best. I feed smoked salmon and ground chicken breast and turkey to them as well as a supplement to the kibble. Anyone have experience with grain free 4health? If I had better local connections I would feed raw but unfortunately I do not. Any suggestions for the GSD? The breeder feeds raw....which isn't a help lol. Also for GSDs at what age do you guys switch from puppy kibble to adult? Thanks again everyone :)
We switched like a week after Zoey turned one. That's just because there was still puppy food when she turned one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts