German Shepherds Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
yes I'd get a life jacket, it will give her more confidence as well..I have one for my aussie, she sinks like a rock, her butt sinks and then she starts flapping her front legs, goes into a panic,,with the life preserver she now enjoys the water.

I got mine at Petsmart for like 30$

·
Registered
2 Posts
At 9wks My family and I went "noodling" and we got Harvey his own Tube. Well He jumped out of his tube and rode on my lap the rest of the until it started to pour raining(we are still on the river). He jumped out of my lap and swam like a champ about 50 yards down the river and it didnt phase him one bit. The rest of the vacation he played and romped in the water.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
I've never had life jackets for any of my dogs and they swim like champs.

It's just like with HUMANS though, we need our common sense. I need to consider the currents and how tired my dog may be.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I was going to ask who used life jackets and found this. I have always got my young dogs life jackets and vehicle restraints early on. Young animals can tire quicker than one thinks and I don't want to have to jump in to try and handle my panicked drowing dog (did that once-never again. Guy hated his dog-shot it and threw it off a bridge.. even though it was only about 35 lb and had one leg broke, I had hella time getting Sampson to safety and taking him home). I had a Brittany at that same time in early 80s that would near drown herself chasing ducks, falling leaves or bug circles on water.
Not so worried about playing on surfline or at lakeshore with adults. But will have jackets on around rivers or on boats.
The reason a dog should wear a life jacket is same reason any adult should, in case of accident. The chance of hitting head , or becoming dazed or hitting water hard enough to break something ...and subsequently drowning. When the boat isn't moving, and you have a swimmer, it is much easier to haul em up by handle on vest. And it makes it easier for my children to say EVERYONE must wear it. Especially with a disobedient dog. My trustworthy dogs could just kick back without warm vest once we were not moving.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm getting Zoey back! And I want to start where i left off with our swimming. My Gf has a great pool and her dog swims in it all day. I want Zoey to join the fun! Would you guys recommend a life jacket to help her rear end stay afloat. This was our first attempt, her head was above water fine, but the rear really lacked. I know she needs to learn but whats the best way? We'll probably hit the beach the first few times and get her to go in on her own.

ps here she is, pic makes me look weird and skinny.

heres another for good measure
Would strongly recommend a life jacket. In an unintended event, your GSD may not be able to swim efficiently. So, make sure a life jacket is on!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.