German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone. So lastnight I took Mya out to a spot where she could swim. She hadn't been in the water yet and its been hot hot hot here. She swam like a pro. But..... on the way there she pooped,peed,and yes puked. And on the way back she puked.

I have tried the whole ride around the block thing and it doesn't matter what I do she gets sick. So now I have a dog that I can't take anywhere. GRRRRR. At least she can swim. She did make me proud. With a few things she has gone through she is getting better with so many things.

·
Registered
129 Posts
first of all you shouldnt give her anything to eat or drink before a car ride,second it takes time so keep trying going around the block,and third you should go slow and try to avoid sharp turns.

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
Dramaine works, sorry I know the spelling it terrible, but it is the same thing that us humans take for car and sea sickness.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. I have not tried anything to calm her down. When I take her somewhere its planned and she doesn't get anything to eat or drink for some time and I take her potty. I have heard that dramamine works but I don't want to dope her up. I need her to be active and alert. GRRRRR this is hard

·
Registered
129 Posts
hmm well then try asking your vet for a better solution.

(sorry im bad on spelling too so i dont know if i spelled solution right)

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
Let me add, that before getting involved with GSD's, I had a 12 pound Jack Russell. She was with me for seventeen years and a tablet of dramamine (again spelling) never had any ill effects.

Before the pill, the dog would vomit in the car.

·
Registered
340 Posts
You could also try ginger root or chamomile/peppermint tea. Yes, serve your dog tea. LOL

My Lab gets car sick...and if he gets a bit of either of these before hand, it helps settle the tummy. Just a little. Then, perhaps some more afterwards.

The easiest thing to do is get some chamomile/peppermint tea from the grocery store. Brew it, cool it and offer it like you would water. Or, you could make it in ice cubes.

Some people say to offer a ginger cookie of some sort...I don't like doing that because there's too much sugar in the cookies. If you have the time, make some tea from the ginger root.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Originally Posted By: Timber1Dramaine works, sorry I know the spelling it terrible, but it is the same thing that us humans take for car and sea sickness.
i would second the dramamine. my vet recommends this to people. ive never used it for my dog, but my brother has used it w/ his dog for yrs with success.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts