German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Eng. Shepherd pup (dumb puppies!) jumped after dock diving Deja yesterday and went under. He did swim well but I think he got water in his ear and it bothers him today. Do dogs get swimmer's ear and if yes, can it be treated like ours with 50/50 vinegar/alcohol?

·
Registered
137 Posts
They do get it, yes. Alcohol is not good at all. I’ve tried many times thinking it will, it never does and makes things worse. Apple cider vinegar is good. I don’t dilute it at all.

·
Registered
9,558 Posts

·
Registered
10,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, I ordered it on Amazon and will arrive tomorrow. Crazy fast but nice.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Just an FYI hydrocortisone is a wicked strong steroid (which is why it works so well lol) but can cause a bunch of side effects. So it should be used sparingly.

·
Registered
10,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Usually I use this kind of stuff to see if it clears up if it doesn't get any better in a day, it's off to the vet. I am going anyways today just to make sure.

·
Registered
9,558 Posts
I have never had any problems with it, and short term use should be just fine.https://www.vetinfo.com/canine-ear-infection-zymox.html

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have never had any problems with it, and short term use should be just fine.https://www.vetinfo.com/canine-ear-infection-zymox.html
It wouldn’t be something noticeable but it creates a domino effect with hormones and the immune system. The more frequently it’s used, the longer it takes to get everything back into balance. There is a reason you’re supposed to wash your hands thoroughly after touching it.

·
Registered
9,558 Posts
So the veterinarian info I posted is incorrect?

·
Registered
137 Posts
So the veterinarian info I posted is incorrect?
That link is just speaking to the ingredients without the hydrocortisone. It mentions that there is a version with hydrocortisone. To be honest, that site looks more like a clickbait site that just auto gathers random bits of info from the internet (their search function doesn’t work). If you look up hydrocortisone by itself though, you should be able to get the info on how it works and what it does. It’s just another ingredient.

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
I've used the Zymox with Hydrocortisone (red bottle) for dogs with ear problems many times -- lots of different dogs. It gives them immediate relief, and often clears problems without the need for vet meds. For dogs with low-grade/chronic problems, there is also a version without Hydrocortisone (blue bottle). OTOH, if you've got a full blown infection, you need vet RX ear drops (or ointment) -- I've fostered a few dogs who went deaf due to untreated ear infections, so it really can have bad long term effects for the dogs.

I no longer use vinegar solutions because it's VERY painful. Once you put that stuff in the ear of a dog with a painful infection, you might never have them cooperate with ear cleanings again. The Zymox is totally painless.

·
Registered
10,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: puppy had a bad ear infection. She couldn't even see the drum from the amount of pus. Poor thing. He was so stoic about it. Looking back, I think it is caused by an insect or seed after running through tall grass. He came back with a droopy ear but it went back up after a few days after I treated it with Vetiricyn. What made me suspicious is that Deja started checking that ear today so I took him in just in case. You know what would happen over the weekend. They didn't see anything, cleaned out out and he should be fine in a few days on Posatex Otic. Hooray for nurse Deja! Trust these noses!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I no longer use vinegar solutions because it's VERY painful. Once you put that stuff in the ear of a dog with a painful infection, you might never have them cooperate with ear cleanings again. The Zymox is totally painless.
If you try apple cider vinegar (with the mother), it’s oddly painless. It’s used to soothe irritated skin. (I wouldn’t have believed it because it’s acid so I don’t know how that’s even possible) Bizarrely, my dogs love it. I dab the cotton balls on my hand and they lick it off while I’m cleaning their ears.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts