German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all. A while back I posted about the small cyst we found in the skin on Ava's elbow. Well, she ended up having it removed yesterday because it had grown a little bigger, so we all thought it was best to take it off, and it is being sent to pathology for testing. Since she is only 13 months old, the vet said we shouldn't worry too much about cancer, especially given her overall excellent health.

One question, though: After bringing her home yesterday afternoon, we noticed that her foot on her left leg (the one with the cyst) is swollen. She has a pressure wrap, so thinking it might have been related to that, we called the vet right away and drove her back, but the vet checked it and the wrap is loose enough to get fingers through it. He said he thinks it is probably just a reaction to the catheter, and that it should go down within the next 24-36 hours. Is this normal? She slept through the night just fine, and she just had a little breakfast and water, and she hasn't thrown up or shown any signs of pain at all. Vet said that today if we get her walking around, that might also help with the swelling, since it seems to be slightly more noticeable when she is lying down for a while.

Anyway, just wondering if you have any advice on this, or how long is acceptable for swelling before becoming more concerned?

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I wouldn't worry since she is feeling well until the 36 hrs. have passed but I would try to get her walking around like the vet suggested. Since this is Friday and the Memorial Day weekend, if it is still swollen by this afternoon, I would check back with the vet.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply! Our vet called us around noon today to check up on her, and I told her about the swelling still going on, and she had me get some Benadryl to try that this afternoon, tonight and tomorrow morning. They think there's a possibility that she might have been allergic to the catheter (since the swelling starts there and goes down to the foot), so we're trying that. If it's not noticeably better in the morning, I'm supposed to call back and we'll take her in to be checked.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Hope Ava is all better. You sure have a good vet. You wouldn't have to dread the long weekend worrying about her.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, we took her in this morning because her foot was still swollen, and our vet looked her over, felt her lymph nodes and everything, and as it turns out, she is most likely allergic to the plastic in the catheter. She gave her some anti-inflammatory pills and some antibiotics just to rule out an infection, and Ava's foot is already getting a lot better! :) Hopefully she'll be totally back to normal within the next day or so.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Thanks for the update and that your Ava is feeling a whole lot better :)

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Glad to hear she's feeling better! That's highly unusual, I'm glad your vet caught it. Keep us updated with her progress. :)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, guys! This morning her foot is completely back to normal! :D We are continuing ABs for their full course just to be on the safe side. The vet is going to look through the catheter supply and see what type of plastics they have in them, and then add that as a note to her file. I'm just so glad she is better!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE: The vet called this afternoon with the results of the path test, and everything came back clear!! YAY!!!!! :D

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
What a relief! Happy for you that your & Ava's ordeal is over and she is healthy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts