German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

So my GSD Maverick is now 10 weeks old. We've been working on crate training. Sometimes he's sweet... and sometimes he's sour.

At night he will go right into his crate, lay down with a little protest and then sleep. He is sleeping anywhere from 5-7 hours without a peep!
During the day, he will go into the crate and walk in and out of it.

We also have a lab and they play frequently to tire each other out.

We've been trying to work with him on staying in his crate for different amounts of time during the day when we're home, or need to leave for the grocery store or something not taking too much time. (My husband and I currently work from home)
After some play time - and once in his crate, I place a blanket over it and walk out - He was doing decent, and staying somewhat quite with a few crazy cries and then settling and that is off an on until he is let out. I'm not sure he really naps or anything. It's really hit or miss here if he loses it or deals with being in the crate.

In the mornings, he will want to get up anywhere from 5am-6:30am and want to eat and play. For example, the past few mornings he goes outside at 5:30am and does #1&2, bu then is crying an hour later to get up for the day. I take him outside, and he literally just sits in the middle of the yard.
His breakfast time is not until 8am, so I do not feed until that time no matter how early we get up. Sometimes, I'll move his crate to another room and try crating him a little longer - he absolutely loses it! Goes nuts! Bites and paws at the door so much so that drool accumulates (see photo). Then when he is let out he is playing and high pitched crying like he never thought he would get out!

Even with that, he is still great at night with the crate other than the early wake up. I'm more worried about having him trained to be in the crate when we have to go back to work, or the store, etc.

Any advise??

He does have a towel in the crate with him. No toys as of now because I read conflicting reasons to leave toys with a puppy unsupervised - so any suggestions on that are welcome too.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I would leave him with a Kong stuffed with something really good when he is alone in the morning. He wants to be up with you. Maybe before 8:00 have him on his leash and let him follow you around or play with his toys.

I have a Standard Poodle and he did the same thing when he was a puppy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts