German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a Popsicle out, didn't like the flavour so I figured Sigurd could eat it. I held onto the stick so he could chew the Popsicle off of it (he's done it before). I saw that the wrapper was getting some juice on the counter so I grabbed it and let go of the Popsicle for literally 2 seconds, and in that wee time frame, he had gulped the whole thing down! Stick and all! He doesn't seem to notice or care, he just ate some kibble, had a few laps of water. I called the e-vet and they said just to monitor for vomiting, he should be fine.

Do you think the e-vet information is correct?? :confused: I can't imagine that swallowing a whole stick would be just fine.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
oh wow! I would watch him closely. I probably would not have fed him tonight but that's me. Hopefully some one else will have some good advice. Hope it all works out okay.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I know how you feel... Jax ate a plastic measuring cup that he snapped into Popsicle stick length pieces (pointy and jagged at that).... Go buy some Beneful that's full of tons of corn... It should speed up the process of getting your stick back.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I don't know what to do? The receptionist put me on hold for a couple minutes, she was getting more info, she didn't seem worried at all. She asked his breed and weight. Google brings up a few other forums, seems like people just let it pass... one person made her dog throw it up, but that freaks me out. I'd be worried about it choking him. I can try the crappy food suggestion... I've read that pumpkin can also help with passing... I guess Popsicle sticks are thin, flimsy wood... dogs eat sticks and bones all the time? I don't know. Gahhh.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My gsd pup was about 6 months old,We were taking a walk. I found a little rubber ball,like you would get from a quarter machine at the grocery store. It was about the size of a pingpong ball.I threw it a few times and she brought it back to me,then OOPS she swallowed it! You should have seen the look on her face! Anyway I called my vet,he told me to watch her also.He said if she vomited,we should bring her in to get xrayed. I followed her around for 2 weeks checking everytime she had a bowel movement. No ball, I guess she desolved it. I would just watch it and as long as the dog doesn't start vomiting,I think it will desolve. Good Luck

·
Registered
728 Posts
Okay I did a bit of googling 'cause I'm worried, lol..

One site says to watch closely and if there is a problem inside with the stick, he will begin to vomit, be lethargic and refuse to eat. Apparently it would have been better if he'd chewed it, did you tell the ER people he swallowed it and didn't chew it up?

It's also good he's a big dog, it seems, from what I read... But there can be problems once it gets to the intestines if it doesn't soften, and there's parts (the turns I expect) where it could become lodged. But that's when they say you'll notice the vomiting, lethargy, lack of appetite, tightness of stomach, etc...

So if he stops eating get him in ASAP. But if he stays normal, it may partially break up and pass, so give him a LOT of fiber and canned pumpkin, and if he strains to poop or pukes, get him in. The consensus seems to be watch him a couple of days, and watch for those symptoms.

There were also a LOT of people with big dogs who ate sticks, bones, etc. and passed them without issue that I saw.

Keep us updated, I will be thinking of him like crazy!

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I work for a vet (vet tech) and we just removed a whole popsicle stick from a full grown lab about two weeks ago. She seemed to be feeling fine, but the owner was given two options. 1 was to just watch her and see how she did , 2 was to remove it surgically which after talking to the vet the owner did. the vet explained it this way,
if the stick proceeds perfectly right, it might go through the intestines and be pooped out in a day or two without problems. BUT, it might also get lodged in the stomach and not able to proceed into the intestines, poke through the intestines if it does come out of the stomach, or just sit there in the gut and cause problems.
It was a fairly simple surgery, he found the stomach, made a small incision and pulled the whole popsicle stick out of the whole, sutured it back up, sutured up the belly and the lab went home the next morning eating, pooping and doing just fine.
The owner says he doesn't share his popsicle stick anymore with his dog.

I would be very careful and if you choose not to have it removed then carefully moniter him for anything unusual, not eating, not drinking, vomiting or acting painful in the belly.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you wyominggrandma for the information, that's pretty scary what it can do if it doesn't pass correctly. I'd rather not do surgery on him, but I don't want something bad to happen to him. I will call my regular vet in the morning and see what they say. :(

I gave him some canned pumpkin, I read that can help with passing objects.

A few minutes ago he woke up from sleep and kind of tilted his head funny (not the gsd head tilt), looked kind of surprised then chewed on his back leg kind of funny. I might just be looking too much into his bahaviour. :-/

He's eating food, drinking water, and being normal besides that. He is playful and stuff...

·
Registered
728 Posts
Well that's good, he seems to be normal so far, then. Eating and drinking is a very good sign! If I were you though I'd watch him all night, or if you really need to sleep. maybe set the alarm to get up a couple of times just to check on him, make sure there's no vomiting or anything.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well that's good, he seems to be normal so far, then. Eating and drinking is a very good sign! If I were you though I'd watch him all night, or if you really need to sleep. maybe set the alarm to get up a couple of times just to check on him, make sure there's no vomiting or anything.
I'll watch him for sure during the night. He sleeps beside me anyway and I am a light sleeper, when he moves I wake up. I have class in the a.m. so unfortunately I have to get some sleep!

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I agree to keep monitoring. Any signs of an obstruction and you can get him into the vet immediately. Obstructions can take a while to develop.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Hoping everything comes out okay. Pun intended. :)

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Hope Sigurd passes that stick soon so that his mommy won't have to keep worrying!

:poop:+ stick = :)

1 - 20 of 101 Posts