German Shepherds Forum banner

81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all,

My wife is freaking out and pissed at me. We switched our 14 week old puppy over to barf last week. Everything has been fine so far.

Tonight I was letting her chew a raw bone from a pork chop. The bone was approx 5 inches long and tapers from 3/4 to 1/2 inch wide. I figured she would just chew and pull meat off the bone.

She was chomping and chewing and then she swallowed the entire bone whole before I could stop her.

It's been about 30 minutes and she is breathing fine and is sleeping atm.

I feel like a real idiot and hoping this doesn't cost me a small fortune or my dog health problems.

Or it could be a simple overreaction but I don't see how this bone can go out the rear end.

Should I head to the emergency vet right now or just wait it out.
This is my 7 the gsd but first time barf and first puppy in 19 years.

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. If I can get my wife calmed down that would be a bonus.

Thanks,
CC
Your dog will be completely fine. I been feeding raw model prey diet. (NotBarf). Our dogs eat a entire knuckle bone sometimes and the stomach will break down the bone and poop out the remainder of the calcium. No need to over react. I feed my 5 week old puppies straight raw with bone also and have no issues

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wishing you guys the best. Problem i have is he constantly looking for sticks in the yard. We have a lot of evergreens in the back. He will literally rip a lower branch off and run.
I have to watch him like a hawk. No matter what the weather conditions are. Last week here he has a stick lodged in his throat. Forced his jaws open and got it out. That's the 3rd time for this. He knew i was trying to get it out and didn't fight me.. His middle name is knucklehead.
AKA Grizzly.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
So just got back from the vet. Her tiny prolapse healed itself overnight. Vet says it's irritated and she will probably mess with it but in the end it should be an issue.

She is on 7 days of Metronidazole twice a day, every 12 hours. The vet doesn't want her on any chicken, not sure I agree here but she is the pro. When she was eating raw chicken she had the best poop since we had her, so I'll go with it for now.

Sasha is 3 months old and only weighs 21 pounds. Vet wants me to give 2 cups of kibble 3 times a day. Seems a little much to me but I'm not a vet.

Vet also wants me to discontinue the current kibble due to the chicken
Just out of curiosity, what kibble did the vet recommend feeding?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
She didn't. Well no she offhandly mentioned Purina pro plan? I questioned her on it containing corn and she said Sasha needs the carbs because she is 9-10 pounds underweight. I'm not to comfortable giving her corn as part of her food.

I ended up putting her on earthborn holistic coastal catch. It appears to be a quality kibble and it's close for me to resupply.

She did have a good solid poop today. I didn't have kibble at the time so she got beef heart, whole cottage cheese, whole organic yogurt, brown rice, and a veggie puree..

·
Registered
14 Posts
I buy raw beef and chicken and then run it through the food processor with carrots and peas. My 4 month old is doing wonderful on it.
I also did a lot of research on kibble as he was having very loose stools, Diamond large breed puppy is the best.
He has the raw processed meat for breakfast, kibble for lunch then the meat mixed with kibble for dinner. Make sure she had access to lots of water as the raw diet requires more water to digest.

My rule is I don't give my pup anything smaller than my fist is across. Also avoid the rope toys, they are a choking hazard.
Good luck with your little girl!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’m so glad she’s okay!!!!
as for raw feeding! Alot of people avoid pork bones and leg bones and stuff.Chicken is usually the starter

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello all,

My wife is freaking out and pissed at me. We switched our 14 week old puppy over to barf last week. Everything has been fine so far.

Tonight I was letting her chew a raw bone from a pork chop. The bone was approx 5 inches long and tapers from 3/4 to 1/2 inch wide. I figured she would just chew and pull meat off the bone.

She was chomping and chewing and then she swallowed the entire bone whole before I could stop her.

I feel like a real idiot and hoping this doesn't cost me a small fortune or my dog health problems.

Or it could be a simple overreaction but I don't see how this bone can go out the rear end.

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. If I can get my wife calmed down that would be a bonus.

Thanks,
CC
I am so very very happy for you that Sasha is ok. 🐾🐾🐾💙💙💙💙💙😁😁😁😁😁 Blessings to you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all,

Thanks,
CC
Never ever Give chicken or pork bones to your dog!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have lurked on this board a long time. I hope no one minds my input.. I have fed BARF for over 15 years to several dogs. From puppies to adults. When done right, it can be wonderful. Feeding is a very personal choice. Like anything else involving our dogs, it takes reserach and carfeul selection. My advice is you go to the BARF discussion boards or FaceBook groups and see what is suggested for bones and sizes. Glad everything turned out okay, and that Sasha has a wonderful life.

·
Registered
86 Posts
A couple quick things: Metronidazole is an antibiotic for bacterial infections, yes. It's also a good anti-diarrheal medicine in dogs as it helps to reduce inflammation. Finally, it works to kill protozoal infections, such as Giardia, Trichomonas, etc. It's not a drug I love giving to puppies, but it's not uncommon for breeders to send home metroniadazole with their puppies, particularly if they're in rural areas, where giardia is a common problem. So that's that.

If your vet prescribed it, give the whole dose. Treat it as an antibiotic.

With regard to diet, my feeling is that the best diet for my dog is the the one that particular dog thrives on (I currently have four dogs on four different diets). I've fed everything: raw, dehydrated raw, home cooked, kibble, prescription food, etc. There is no one correct food. It depends on the dog. I will say that doing all the research and getting a good meat grinder and grinding bones for a raw diet certainly reduces many issues, including broken teeth. But that's water under the bridge at this point.

Ok, you said that you were going to feed half kibble, half fresh. That half fresh food has to be properly balanced. I trust you know that, but it wasn't entirely sure. We can't simply put a bunch of fresh cooked meat on kibble, particularly with puppies, You'll be feeding her way too much phosphorous which can cause significant issues as she grows.

My pup can't eat chicken. I put him on Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream Puppy, which is formulated for large puppies. I added a couple sardines or Icelandic Plus Dehydrated capelin to ensure he was getting a proper amount of taurine since TOTW is legumes based. I use these fish for training treats.

His 8 month hip xrays and elbow xrays/CT were very good. His bloodwork excellent. At 10 months, I switched him to Nature's Logic Sardine formula, which is a very good food and he loves it. Nature's Logic Sardine is an All Life Stages food, which means technically, it can be fed to puppies, but I think the fat is too low for a growing pup. For that reason, I still give my pup (who is about 90% grown) the sardines/capelin --which as you probably know from feeding raw, small whole fish generallly have good 1:1.2 or so calcium/phosphorous ratio. I also use Plato's Salmon and Natural Balance limited ingredients salmon treats for training treats. Be sure to keep treats tiny since they're not manufactured to be balanced.

By keeping my dog on a strict fish diet, I know that if he develops an allergy later in life, I've held back other proteins I can use later. I'm not a fan of exposing my dogs to a lot of different proteins. My last GSD had poultry allergies since birth. I fed him lamb exclusively. He became allergic to lamb at about 8 years old; and I was able to make a quick transition to beef because I held that back.

Final note, with food allergies, it takes several weeks at least for the old protein to get out of her system, so if you don't see results right away, you should probably stick with the new food for a while unless your vet tells you differently. Folks often jump around too often, and the poor dog's GI tract never gets a chance to settle down.

I hope your little girl fully recovers. She's adorable.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You know I never considered pet insurance, I think I'll look into it. I've lost 3 rescues over the years to hermangiasarcoma.

The reason I considered raw diet, it just seems better. I equate kibble to McDonald's, yeah it's convenient but not that great either.
We had her on blue Buffalo large bread puppy and her poops got worse every day.

Put her on grain free and it helped but her coat felt literally like steel wool, she's a long coat. In a week of raw her poop totally firmed up and her coat is silky smooth.

I'm definitely willing to spend for premium kibble but even that honestly is going to lack compared to fresh made. Seriously conflicted on her food as I want to provide the best life possible for her. The current kibble I have for her is blue buffalo freedom large breed puppy.

Our current dog eats taste of the wild and is fairly healthy at 11.
We have our boys on Canidae - duck and sweet potato. We add grain (not daily) because a grain free diet is causing Cushings and other illnesses. I was reading through and came across your post. I am very thankful that your girl is going to be fine. I had to jump to the end to find out. It’s hard to be a “parent” to these critters because they hide pain well.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I can't believe all the raw haters. It's not for amateurs, it's work, and takes time and research, but all my dogs through the years have been on raw with no problems, NONE of my dogs have died from cancer, have had zero teeth or dental problems and the youngest at time of death was 12! Young pups get large bones with supervision( for gnawing). They get whole chicken legs at around 4 months. It's not for everyone, sure it's easier to dump some purina in a bowl but I have no problem with raw. If it doesn't work for you fine, but it DOES work for many of us, let us be. We don't rag on you for feeding kibble!

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I can't believe all the raw haters. It's not for amateurs, it's work, and takes time and research, but all my dogs through the years have been on raw with no problems, NONE of my dogs have died from cancer, have had zero teeth or dental problems and the youngest at time of death was 12! Young pups get large bones with supervision( for gnawing). They get whole chicken legs at around 4 months. It's not for everyone, sure it's easier to dump some purina in a bowl but I have no problem with raw. If it doesn't work for you fine, but it DOES work for many of us, let us be. We don't rag on you for feeding kibble!
Raw haters...LOL!!! My first GSD lived to 14 years old and ate Iams most her life 🤷‍♀️

All anyone is asking that the pros & cons of feeding raw meat are posted here, that's not too much to ask is it? Just be honest about it!

I don't care what you feed your dog, you can eat your meat raw and it wouldn't bother me one bit. But many new members come here and get information (from people that are far from experts to put it mildly) that is not exactly accurate so they can make an informed decision.

For six years I prepared a cooked diet (balanced) for Nikki and I can tell you it's a lot more work then your raw diet. Have a nice day! :)

·
Super Moderator
6,514 Posts
Ok, this thread has run its course and then some.... if you would like to continue to check on and support the OP, please feel free to do so. Otherwise, let’s discontinue the back and forth about individual feelings on raw diets.

·
Registered
9,816 Posts
You know I never considered pet insurance, I think I'll look into it. I've lost 3 rescues over the years to hermangiasarcoma.

The reason I considered raw diet, it just seems better. I equate kibble to McDonald's, yeah it's convenient but not that great either.
We had her on blue Buffalo large bread puppy and her poops got worse every day.

Put her on grain free and it helped but her coat felt literally like steel wool, she's a long coat. In a week of raw her poop totally firmed up and her coat is silky smooth.

I'm definitely willing to spend for premium kibble but even that honestly is going to lack compared to fresh made. Seriously conflicted on her food as I want to provide the best life possible for her. The current kibble I have for her is blue buffalo freedom large breed puppy.

Our current dog eats taste of the wild and is fairly healthy at 11.
I would always have any dog on pet insurance. It has saved me thousands of dollars over the years.

·
Registered
9,816 Posts
This might have been a red flag for you:
"I remembered when I picked Sasha up from the breeder she gave me a baggie with 5 white pills and she said it was for nervous belly. No direction like give one a day until gone, just if her poop isn't right give her one. "
This is besides the swallowed bone but it shows to me that the breeder was aware of her sensitive digestive system. Did you discuss this with the breeder?

81 - 100 of 103 Posts