German Shepherds Forum banner

61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
30,965 Posts
If you choose to go back to a raw diet, I really like K9 Kravings. It's affordable and my dogs have done really well. I do think it's mostly in the mid atlantic region. You'll have to go directly to their website to find a distributor.

As far as homemade, you can get a grinder for bones or buy bone meal to balance the diet. When I feed bone, they are never more than neck bones (from a good human grade source so the thyroid gland is not on it) or chicken. I would never, ever, feed a large animal bone. The only thing other than poultry I feed is lamb necks. However, I never feed a growing dog a homemade diet.

Metro is commonly used to stop diarrhea. Call your vet but I doubt there will be an issue with giving it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
This is what her butt looked like last night.

It is significantly better then when it happened. When it happened it was about half the circumference of her butt and looked like someone chewed up a stick of gum and then stuck it on her but. The brown is dried poop.

IMG_20200211_204805.jpg

·
Registered
30,965 Posts
Personally, I like the Victor brand food. But if she is having stomach issues, find a food that works for her. I would not switch food right now. Let her heal.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
@Calicontractor as I'm sure you are noticing Barf, prey model raw, premade raw, home cooked, kibble, grain free kibble, which kibble, all of the above when it comes to diet are passionate topics here.
My take on it is it's your dog and your choice to make what to feed your dog based on your own research and the heath of the dog in front of you. There are so many discussions here on what is the "best" food and no one will agree with every suggestion.
Sure I raw feed. After hundreds of hours of research I made that choice. Even with that choice my dogs diet has evolved over time. Trial and error to find what works for my dog. Can I say everyone in the know would say her diet is perfect...I highly doubt it but I'm dealing with "my dog" and her many digestive health/skin issues. Her vets however say she is doing well considering where we started. I also offer as a free feed a limited ingredient kibble because sometimes she just wants the kibble. It's actually not even a great kibble by most standards but it's also the only kibble on the market that she tolerates well given all her food allergies. She likes it and it doesn't give her poop issues so we go with it. Yet she won't eat it as her only food source thus the raw as well.
There are so many choices out there it can be like walking through a minefield trying to get to the other side from bad to good for your dog.

If you still want to feed raw there are a host of good choices that are balanced and don't contain whole bone. Some have ground bone, some have bone meal powder added. I've done both. For my dog even ground bone was an issue over time (vomiting) so we moved on to bone meal powder. It's an evolution.

If you decide not to continue with raw that's ok too. There are so many kibbles on the market. What works for one won't for another. I can say as a puppy my dog absolutely loved Blue Buffalo kibble. She always scarfed it down like it was her last meal. Then she had liquid poops all day but that was my dog. We tried Orijen too. She loved it for about a week and then not so much and still didn't have good poops. We tried at least 6 different kibble over more than a years time with absolutely no success.

Sure by now you are getting the point I'm trying to make. Do your research (a lot of research) on different diets and how to ensure it is a balanced diet. Make your choice, watch your dogs health and make changes if needed. Remember that aside from emergencies like you are having now all diet changes like changing kibble brands should be done gradually over time to avoid GI upset. This is a proven technique.

The thing about the internet and forums like this one is everyone has an opinion on what is best. But by who's standard is that opinion? Theirs! Everyone here want's to help with questions and I like to think we do help if by no other standard then we share our own anecdotal experiences to help answer the questions asked. Many offer up links to topic research by experts and other sources. Some experts are respected others are not. The choice is yours and yours alone to disseminate the information and make the choices that you are comfortable with and can live with.

So what is the best diet for your pup. I have no idea but I'm confident you will take what you have already learned and will continue to learn to come up with what works for your dog.

Thank you for reading my long soap box post. I wish for you to find what works for your pup for a long, happy and healthy life. It's a journey...harder for some than others.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The choice to feed raw or kibble is up to the owner of the dog and no one else.

Feed what you are comfortable in giving to your dog, providing they are getting the proper nutrients needed.

For the record, I have been prey model raw feeding for over 20 years and have never had a problem, the reason is that I researched a lot before I decided to move away from kibble.

I wish you and your pooch all the best, no matter what you decide to feed.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
So just got back from the vet. Her tiny prolapse healed itself overnight. Vet says it's irritated and she will probably mess with it but in the end it should be an issue.

She is on 7 days of Metronidazole twice a day, every 12 hours. The vet doesn't want her on any chicken, not sure I agree here but she is the pro. When she was eating raw chicken she had the best poop since we had her, so I'll go with it for now.

Sasha is 3 months old and only weighs 21 pounds. Vet wants me to give 2 cups of kibble 3 times a day. Seems a little much to me but I'm not a vet.

Vet also wants me to discontinue the current kibble due to the chicken

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Calcitor, that certainly doesn't look too bad (the photos)! Glad she is better!

Since metronidazole is an antibiotic, of course it shouldn't be given just one pill at a time when her poop is soft - she needs to be given a full course of the drug, or you are just setting her up for worse problems, because the organisms become immune to the drug. Just sayin' - you probably know this already...

Metronidazole is also effective against certain parasites such as giardia.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Sensitivity to chicken is one of the most frequent problems that dogs have. My older dog gets very itchy when she's on a chicken based kibble. I've been told it's because chickens are fed so many antibiotics and hormones and other stuff to make them grow fast. That may be the reason for the vet saying 'no chicken'.

Glad she's doing the right thing with the metro prescription!

And yeah, that's a LOT of food! My adult GSDs get only 2 cups kibble twice a day!

Adolescent GSDs often go through a 'hollow leg' stage where they can eat as much as they want, and still look rather skinny, so don't stress over it. If she won't finish the food, just remove it after 15 minutes.

·
Registered
30,965 Posts
Hormones have not been allowed in poultry since the 1950s. 70 years. I doubt very many people on this board have eaten chicken with hormones in them.

If abx is given to ANY animal, the medicine must have cleared their system prior to being butchered. They actually test for these things. That includes dairy cows. They have to dump the milk from that cow.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Apologies for not doing my homework, Jax, but the fact remains chicken sensitivity is very common in dogs, whatever the cause is.

·
Registered
30,965 Posts
That is not a fact per the veterinarians that do allergy testing. Veterinarians will tell you food allergies are actually rare and most are environmental. It is an opinion spread on internet with zero scientific backing stated with confidence by people who have googled so it must be fact. Sorry, not sorry. That crap infuriates me. I spent years screwing around with "a chicken allergy" when it was environmental because I believe keyboard warriors. Been there, drank that Kool-aid and my dog paid the price.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Not going to
So just got back from the vet. Her tiny prolapse healed itself overnight. Vet says it's irritated and she will probably mess with it but in the end

Not going to argue the reason behind avoiding chicken with you or your vet. At this point it won't hurt your pup to avoid chicken. If that helps then it is a win.
My old age tells me that more than likely the prolapse was caused by straining from having an empty GI tract due to the blockage of the esophagus from the bone along with inflammation from what ever the breeder put the pup on metro for in the first place. Added to that the after effects of anesthesia to remove the bone. But it's all moot at this point.
Time to start from square one. Get your pup on solid footing health wise and evaluate from there.
As of right now your pup has been through a lot and just needs time to heal and gain normalcy in the GI tract.
Go with your vets recommendation and don't stress. Hug your pup and enjoy each other.
Wishing you better days ahead.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
That is not a fact per the veterinarians that do allergy testing. Veterinarians will tell you food allergies are actually rare and most are environmental. It is an opinion spread on internet with zero scientific backing stated with confidence by people who have googled so it must be fact. Sorry, not sorry. That crap infuriates me. I spent years screwing around with "a chicken allergy" when it was environmental because I believe keyboard warriors. Been there, drank that Kool-aid and my dog paid the price.
And then to diagnose something like that when a dog on kibble has so many different ingredients that can vary to some degree coming from different suppliers? I know this is anecdotal and I have no degree's or studies to site, but I've met more then enough people who's dogs got better when they just fed them and ignored what the vet thought and flea bathed a few times.

61 - 80 of 103 Posts