German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 60 of 103 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
Been following your thread. SO happy to hear she made it! What a beautiful little girl!

I feed raw and thought you may want some alternatives to be able to stay away from kibble.

These are not cheap to feed, but here are a few ideas:

The Honest Kitchen Dehydrated Food(not kibble): LOVE is appropriate for puppies: Dehydrated - Grain Free Beef Recipe (Love) Store Locator: Where to Buy Honest Kitchen - Honest Kitchen Stores | The Honest Kitchen A 10# box RE-hydrates to about 35 pounds of food, but you feed more than kibble because it is real food.
The Honest Kitchen Dehydrated food is 100% Human Food and is the only pet food in the USA that the FDA legally allows to use the words “Human Food” on their advertising and packaging. The Honest Kitchen blends their foods in a human facility that also makes bakery mixes and breakfast cereals. For this reason, they need to abide by the same strict standards for record-keeping, safety and cleanliness that all human foods must meet. The company qualifies for the label of human grade dog food according to the FDA regulations, because they meet all the required standards.

The following are all COMPLETE & BALANCED - RAW foods. Your choice depends on what specifics (such as organic, manufacturing practices =HACCP, GMP, or Anti-Pathogen Treatment=HPP, ect.,) are important to you AND the price per pound.
There are even more expensive products out there.

Bravo: Discover Balance Raw Diet | Beef Frozen Raw Dog Food Diet - Bravo Pet Food Find a store: Find a Bravo Retailer - Bravo Pet Food NOTE Feeding Guide Tab on the page.

Northwest Naturals: Chubs | Northwest Naturals Find a store: Store Locator | Northwest Naturals

Primal: Raw Frozen Canine Beef Formula Find a store: Primal Pet Foods: Store Locator

Stella & Chewys: Stella’s Super Beef Frozen Raw Dinner Patties - Stella & Chewy's Pet Food Pet Food Store Locator | Stella & Chewy's
Stella & Chewy is HPP (which some raw feeders do not agree with)

Best of luck with whatever you decide!!! :)

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Awww, what a cutie!

Just so you know, I've fed all my GSDs high quality kibble, and the only one that didn't make it to 14 years of age had been starved nearly to death before I got her as a rescue. My oldest dog just turned 13 and is in excellent health for her age, and still likes to chase down balls.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Steve,
She was only in raw a week. I put her meals together based on a bunch of different sites I read. I can post or send you a private message and you can see what I was doing.

I think for the short term, until she is an adult I'll feed her quality kibble. Was crazy how fast her poop got better and her coat
One thing to think about with switching to raw from kibble is you generally would add ingredients one at a time when you're putting it together. That can take weeks and thats a problem for a growing puppy. Diet is something that can be really specific to an individual dog. Some dogs live a good life on Ol Roy. Some dogs will not do well on raw. I'm comfortable with a commercial balanced diet and I've found it to be very digestible with the puppies I've fed. Some time after 6mos, I'm ok with building a diet for them. When I've switched mature dogs, I'll use some of the dehydrated foods to begin.

Basically what I'm saying is I wouldn't experiment with a young pup and no experience with a raw diet. If you have a problem you're going to find out real fast just how little help you can find from vets because they really don't study nutrition very much. The general answers even if they contact one of the colleges is probably going to fall back on a petfood funded study that says give them some Science Diet or Purina.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Too true, Steve! When I took Star to the vet for her 48 hour checkup, after bringing her from the breeder, the vet handed me a free bag of Science Diet puppy food. I took one glance at the label and handed it back. The #1 ingredient was CORN MEAL! 🤬

SD has improved since then, but I still wouldn't feed it, unless I had no other choice. And the vet would still have to do one heck of a sales job to convince me it was necessary!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Another day, another problem.

Yesterday after the vet she had this nasty greenish, yellow mucus type poop more like pudding. Did this about 6 times with each one smaller.

This morning she had a normal poop. Just now she made a small soft serve poop and went crazy.

Crying running around licking her butt. I figure she had a piece of grass sticking out. Wrong about half way around her butthole she has what appears to be about a 1/4 inch prolapse. Vet appointment tomorrow but says it will probably heal itself. Said to put her on brown rice and shredded chicken.

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts

Yesterday after the vet she had this nasty greenish, yellow mucus type poop more like pudding. Did this about 6 times with each one smaller.

This morning she had a normal poop. Just now she made a small soft serve poop and went crazy.

Crying running around licking her butt. I figure she had a piece of grass sticking out. Wrong about half way around her butthole she has what appears to be about a 1/4 inch prolapse. Vet appointment tomorrow but says it will probably heal itself. Said to put her on brown rice and shredded chicken.
Oh NOOOOOO!

Poor Baby!!!!!

Poor You!

Update us when you can.

·
Registered
491 Posts
How awful. Here I was reading the good news and it's not so good anymore. I hope this will clear up quickly and she will have no more pain.

She's totally adorable and I hope this is the last of any problems for her.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Poor girl! I wonder if there's a piece of bone stuck in her rectum? She might have broken a small piece off the rib bone she swallowed!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
They did 2 x-rays yesterday. One was the back half to front shoulder. The other was the front half to just just past the stomach. The only thing that showed up anywhere was the bone in her esophagus.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's really not hard to understand at all, raw meat contains harmful bacteria & parasites.

Raw diets have been pushed on here forever and people can make their own decisions. But what's unforgivable is that the risks of a raw meat diet is always brushed under the rug.

all of this “ research” was done in 2012 this article was posted in 2012. It’s filled with buzz words and no actual reasoning other then “ this is different from other dogs” or my absolute favorite “ more research is needed “ this article is just a fear mongering article with no actual research to back it up. And no actual sources to back what “ facts” and “ myths” they are talking about .

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
all of this “ research” was done in 2012 this article was posted in 2012. It’s filled with buzz words and no actual reasoning other then “ this is different from other dogs” or my absolute favorite “ more research is needed “ this article is just a fear mongering article with no actual research to back it up. And no actual sources to back what “ facts” and “ myths” they are talking about .
Some people just never get tired of embarrassing themselves, it's my absolute favorite...so much fun!

The article is from 2012...so what? People with "common sense" don't need any studies to know what this article listed is true to begin with!

It's really a shame that people like you are allowed to post your often dangerous & uneducated opinions without any facts to back it up.

This article was written by veterinarians from Tufts-Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine, you may have heard of it? What's your background in veterinary medicine, we would love to know!

1. Lisa M. Freeman, DVM, PhD, DACVN completed her DVM degree at Tufts Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine and received a PhD in Nutrition from Tufts FriedmanSchool of Nutrition Science and Policy. After a residency in Clinical Nutrition, she was board-certified by the American College of Veterinary Nutrition.

2. Cailin R. Heinze, VMD, MS, DACVN earned her VMD degree from the University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine. After veterinary school, she worked in private practice for three years before pursuing a residency in clinical nutrition at the University of Califor-nia, Davis. While at Davis, Dr. Heinze earned a Master’s degree in Nutritional Biology. She is currently is an Assistant Professor of Nutrition at Tufts Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
My take on raw diets:

Studies have shown that domestic dogs are much better at digesting carbohydrates than wolves are. As dogs evolved eating the leftovers from our midden heaps, that makes perfect sense. They didn't just go after the meaty bones and offal, they also went after the starchy things like bread and starchy vegetables like corn and squash. A raw meat and bones diet is NOT necessary for dogs to be in good health.

If you compare a wolf's skull with that of a dog of similar build, e.g., a German shepherd, you will see the wolf's teeth are much bigger and the bones of the skull much stronger to stand up to the forces of crunching bones. This is why many dogs break teeth when chewing on bones, and require expensive dental work. I have an e-friend who had to pay $3000 to get her dog's teeth fixed after it damaged them by chewing on bones.

Bones frequently get stuck in the digestive system: in the teeth, throat, stomach and bowels. If the dog is lucky, the bone can pass on its own. If it's unlucky, major surgery will be required. If the bone punctures the gut, the dog can die. This goes for cats, too. We nearly lost our cat after he decided to eat a bird he'd captured, and one of the bones pierced his bowel. He survived, but he was very, very sick.

I worked for a vet for awhile, and saw firsthand a dog admitted with a bone in its G.I. tract. With lots of doses of different medications to help it along, and numereous x-rays, the bone did eventually pass. The vet bill was over $1,000 and THIS WAS IN THE 1970's!! It all could have been avoided if the dog hadn't been allowed access to bones in the first place.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Some people just never get tired of embarrassing themselves, it's my absolute favorite...so much fun!

The article is from 2012...so what? People with "common sense" don't need any studies to know what this article listed is true to begin with!

It's really a shame that people like you are allowed to post your often dangerous & uneducated opinions without any facts to back it up.

This article was written by veterinarians from Tufts-Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine, you may have heard of it? What's your background in veterinary medicine, we would love to know!

1. Lisa M. Freeman, DVM, PhD, DACVN completed her DVM degree at Tufts Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine and received a PhD in Nutrition from Tufts FriedmanSchool of Nutrition Science and Policy. After a residency in Clinical Nutrition, she was board-certified by the American College of Veterinary Nutrition.

2. Cailin R. Heinze, VMD, MS, DACVN earned her VMD degree from the University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine. After veterinary school, she worked in private practice for three years before pursuing a residency in clinical nutrition at the University of Califor-nia, Davis. While at Davis, Dr. Heinze earned a Master’s degree in Nutritional Biology. She is currently is an Assistant Professor of Nutrition at Tufts Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine.
I wouldn't be so dismissive and insulting about it. I think the date is very relevant. Since 2012 raw food has grown into a huge industry with no growth in health problems other then the people who try it themselves and create a poor diet. As far as studies, there seems to be more done in Europe, but here's links to stories that will direct you to studies that conflict with the pro-processed studies.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I wouldn't be so dismissive and insulting about it. I think the date is very relevant. Since 2012 raw food has grown into a huge industry with no growth in health problems other then the people who try it themselves and create a poor diet. As far as studies, there seems to be more done in Europe, but here's links to stories that will direct you to studies that conflict with the pro-processed studies.
Insulting? I will dismiss any post from people that do nothing but post their uneducated opinion on here. It's been going on for far too long. At least admit the dangers of a raw meat diet and let people make up their own minds. People on this board have been bashing veterinarians for many, many years and glorified raw feeding.

I don't consider Dogs Naturally Magazine & Mercola credible sources of information.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Thats not insulting. You demanded credentials. I don't put the same value on them as you.
You can do what you want, I honestly don't care, but I will continue to call out people on this board who give out bad advise.

There are plenty of doctors, most on the alternative medicine side, who's opinion I don't value a whole lot. We can all make our own choices!!!

·
Registered
30,965 Posts

Prolapse from straining?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Guys I didn't start this thread to have a fight between barf and kibble. In the 5 days Sasha was on raw she was amazing, normal poop, hair turned from steel wool to silky soft. I can, in the short time she was on it see why someone would gravitate to it.

I started her on the barf because she was having soft serve poops over a few different brands of food.

I remembered when I picked Sasha up from the breeder she gave me a baggie with 5 white pills and she said it was for nervous belly. No direction like give one a day until gone, just if her poop isn't right give her one.

I forgot I had one left, I found it by chance actually this morning and I remembered. The pill is this Metronidazole. I don't know what it is but a Google search shows it as an antibiotic. I'm not going to throw the breeder under the bus yet but I question why she was on antibiotics. We have been fighting loose stools since about two days after we picked her up.

I only did raw in search of a solution to the loose stools. Sasha is at the vet and they have a stool sample to test.

41 - 60 of 103 Posts