German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
30,965 Posts
I"m so very sorry this is happening. Obstructions can come from anything. A friend had to have a bully stick surgically removed. Another lost a dog because of a sock. Dogs get into garbage and eat bones or other things. I've literally pulled a skineez out of Faren's throat as she was swallowing it. This shouldn't be a raw diet vs kibble debate. Obstructions can happen from anything. Our thoughts are with you. :(

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm gutted for you, I hope everything will be successful.

Dogs can choke on anything, not just bones, so don't blame yourself.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
743 Posts
This is horrible..... I am so sorry this is happening to you. It was a mistake, learn from it. I am sending thoughts to you and your dog, hopefully your dog pulls through

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Well great news, Sasha is going to be ok. The bone came out to easier then expected. They even refunded me 230 dollars.

Sasha will never touch a bone the rest of her days. Not only was this bone 5 inches long but it was bowed like a rainbow, I still can picture here sucking this bone down whole, but she did.

I'll still feed her fresh meat but I'll cook it and do maybe 50 percent fresh, 50 percent kibble.

Thanks for the warm thoughts and wishes.

If any one happens to come across this because your puppy or dog did something similar, just go to the vet asap.

While I was there another dog was being admitted for a blockage. Seems more common then you would think.

Thanks,
CC

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Well great news, Sasha is going to be ok. The bone came out to easier then expected. They even refunded me 230 dollars.

Sasha will never touch a bone the rest of her days. Not only was this bone 5 inches long but it was bowed like a rainbow, I still can picture here sucking this bone down whole, but she did.

I'll still feed her fresh meat but I'll cook it and do maybe 50 percent fresh, 50 percent kibble.

Thanks for the warm thoughts and wishes.

If any one happens to come across this because your puppy or dog did something similar, just go to the vet asap.

While I was there another dog was being admitted for a blockage. Seems more common then you would think.

Thanks,
CC
I'm glad she's fine, but if I was you I'd just feed her a premium food for the time being while you study a little more about raw diets. Adding some cooked meat is more like a treat and you have to be careful about the fat, but I don't think there's a great benefit diet wise to adding it to a kibble.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
You know I never considered pet insurance, I think I'll look into it. I've lost 3 rescues over the years to hermangiasarcoma.

The reason I considered raw diet, it just seems better. I equate kibble to McDonald's, yeah it's convenient but not that great either.
We had her on blue Buffalo large bread puppy and her poops got worse every day.

Put her on grain free and it helped but her coat felt literally like steel wool, she's a long coat. In a week of raw her poop totally firmed up and her coat is silky smooth.

I'm definitely willing to spend for premium kibble but even that honestly is going to lack compared to fresh made. Seriously conflicted on her food as I want to provide the best life possible for her. The current kibble I have for her is blue buffalo freedom large breed puppy.

Our current dog eats taste of the wild and is fairly healthy at 11.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
You know I never considered pet insurance, I think I'll look into it. I've lost 3 rescues over the years to hermangiasarcoma.

The reason I considered raw diet, it just seems better. I equate kibble to McDonald's, yeah it's convenient but not that great either.
We had her on blue Buffalo large bread puppy and her poops got worse every day.

Put her on grain free and it helped but her coat felt literally like steel wool, she's a long coat. In a week of raw her poop totally firmed up and her coat is silky smooth.

I'm definitely willing to spend for premium kibble but even that honestly is going to lack compared to fresh made. Seriously conflicted on her food as I want to provide the best life possible for her. The current kibble I have for her is blue buffalo freedom large breed puppy.

Our current dog eats taste of the wild and is fairly healthy at 11.
I'm not saying not to feed raw, I feed my dog raw, and I agree its healthier then any processed foods. With a puppy though, if you're going to I'm more comfortable using one of the commercial balanced diets then your own put together. Is that what you're doing? I might have missed something and was thinking you were feeding what you had put together?

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
I’m happy your dog will be alright. Grain free is only necessary if your dog can’t tolerate grains. If they don’t need it, don’t give it as there have been studies that indicate a grain free kibble can cause Taurine deficient cardio Myopathy. Someone posted here last year that they lost a young puppy due to swallowing a whole cooked bone. You are very lucky they saved her, but please don’t feed her cooked bones. I wasn’t sure if you were considering that or not. Raw and cooked food are very different and the nutrients change when you cook food. I use Honest Kitchen which isn’t raw but is significantly better than kibble. One dog has allergies and can only eat a prescription diet, which is kibble.

Older dogs can tolerate large bones if they don’t swallow them whole, but I don’t give bones. I am worried they will swallow big pieces or break off sharp pieces and swallow those,

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I know cooked bones are bad. I wouldn't feed her cooked bones. This whole incident was an accident as she was never meant to eat the bone, it's not the reason she got it. I just underestimated her ability to chime it down.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Glad to hear all went well........

One way around the swallowing bones dilemma besides buying premade raw is buying a meat grinder.....the one I bought from Northern Tool handles chicken and turkey bones no problem.....granted I have to use a meat cleaver to downsize the carcass and larger pieces to make the chunks fit the feed tube.

There is also companies which sell appropriate bone meal to add to a raw diet as well.

Best of luck to you and I'm happy for you that you have your bud back in good shape.

SuperG

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Steve,
She was only in raw a week. I put her meals together based on a bunch of different sites I read. I can post or send you a private message and you can see what I was doing.

I think for the short term, until she is an adult I'll feed her quality kibble. Was crazy how fast her poop got better and her coat

·
Registered
226 Posts
It sounds like a long 24 hours for everyone involved. Glad things worked out.

I must admit that I took another walk around the house and put away any choking hazards on shelves lower than five feet. These pups are remarkably fast when they want to be.

21 - 40 of 103 Posts