German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My wife is freaking out and pissed at me. We switched our 14 week old puppy over to barf last week. Everything has been fine so far.

Tonight I was letting her chew a raw bone from a pork chop. The bone was approx 5 inches long and tapers from 3/4 to 1/2 inch wide. I figured she would just chew and pull meat off the bone.

She was chomping and chewing and then she swallowed the entire bone whole before I could stop her.

It's been about 30 minutes and she is breathing fine and is sleeping atm.

I feel like a real idiot and hoping this doesn't cost me a small fortune or my dog health problems.

Or it could be a simple overreaction but I don't see how this bone can go out the rear end.

Should I head to the emergency vet right now or just wait it out.
This is my 7 the gsd but first time barf and first puppy in 19 years.

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. If I can get my wife calmed down that would be a bonus.

Thanks,
CC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
Personally, I would call my vet, this could be very bad. I would get an x-ray and you might need surgery. It probably might still be sitting in her stomach, it may not be able to pass or will cause damage if it does. Follow your vets advice, they should be able to get you in today if they are decent.

I don't let my puppy have anything size wise that he could swallow, he once swallowed a whole 5" of bully stick. There was blood getting that out and it was semi-soft by that point.... I think a bone could do a lot of damage. I'd stick to beef knuckle bones for chewing and small edible chicken bones only for feeding, personally.

I also don't think feeding raw pork in general is recommended for dogs, unless you freeze it for weeks first? Same with certain raw fish / raw salmon, because of the potential of certain parasites in those products that can infect dogs, as far as I know. I might be wrong, but I always err on the side of caution.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,905 Posts
I would take your dog to the vet, all bones can cause problems, not just cooked.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My vet opens at and I will be on the phone with them as I drive over.

She ate the bone at 7:30 last night. At 6 this morning she attempted to vomit 7 times over 10 minutes and only got some white foam up. She is sleeping now.

I'm hoping the vet can go in from the front and pull it out the way it went in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,905 Posts
My vet opens at and I will be on the phone with them as I drive over.

She ate the bone at 7:30 last night. At 6 this morning she attempted to vomit 7 times over 10 minutes and only got some white foam up. She is sleeping now.

I'm hoping the vet can go in from the front and pull it out the way it went in.
I hope she's going to be ok. My best advise would be to stop all this BARF & bones, put her on a good food from the vet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
Bones from chops are far too small for a dog to chew on.

Best to offer larger bones that are covered in meat, no bare bones and no weight-bearing bones such as beef knucklebones.

I would suggest you read Raw Meaty Bones by Dr Tom Lonsdale.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,236 Posts
And this is why I don't feed BARF...

Just ask a vet...ANY vet...how many bones they have had to remove from dog's digestive systems. It's one of the most common PREVENTABLE problems that vets have to treat. And yes, dogs can and do die from this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,905 Posts
And this is why I don't feed BARF...

Just ask a vet...ANY vet...how many bones they have had to remove from dog's digestive systems. It's one of the most common PREVENTABLE problems that vets have to treat. And yes, dogs can and do die from this.
Not to mention that this is a puppy who needs the proper nutrition and the bacteria/parasites that can make them very sick from raw meat. Scientists criticise trend for raw meat pet food after analysis finds pathogens
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just for the record I never intended for her to eat the bone.

After this sleepless night and cost, she's back on kibble. She has only been on raw for a week.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,820 Posts
I hope your pup is ok and doesn't require surgery. To fed or not to feed barf diet is individual. That said if you should want or need to continue to feed a barf diet you can do so without feeding actual whole bone. My girl is raw fed but due to dietary restrictions can't have digestible bones from common proteins (food allergies). I use bone meal powder to provide the calcium that comes from the bones. So for the naysayers of the barf diet for bone risks there is a workable solution. There are also many premade raw formulas on the market that contain ground bone or clacuim/phosophorus additives.
Again hope your pup is ok. Let us know how it goes at the vet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited by Moderator)
Bone is stuck in esophagus. Worst case scenario. If they can't get the bone out through endoscopy I'm looking at 6k on top of the 2 k I've already spent.

My heart is breaking. If they can't get the bone out without puncturing the esophagus, she is getting out down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,820 Posts
Bone is stuck in esophagus. Worst case scenario. If they can't get the bone out through endoscopy I'm looking at 6k on top of the 2 k I've already spent.

My heart is breaking. If they can't get the bone out without puncturing the esophagus, she is getting out down.
So sorry to hear this. Sending healing thoughts and prayers for a positive outcome.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,118 Posts
Oh no! So sorry. I was hoping to hear something better. Praying they can get it out without puncturing anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,905 Posts
Bone is stuck in esophagus. Worst case scenario. If they can't get the bone out through endoscopy I'm looking at 6k on top of the 2 k I've already spent.

My heart is breaking. If they can't get the bone out without puncturing the esophagus, she is getting out down.
I'm so sorry, praying she will pull through.

Don't beat yourself up too much, it was a mistake, we've all made them :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,905 Posts
I don’t understand all these people who are telling you to switch to kibble because it’s “ better”? Kibble is so full of preservatives and fillers but okay . I hope she’s feeling better !
It's really not hard to understand at all, raw meat contains harmful bacteria & parasites.

Raw diets have been pushed on here forever and people can make their own decisions. But what's unforgivable is that the risks of a raw meat diet is always brushed under the rug.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,505 Posts
Bone is stuck in esophagus. Worst case scenario. If they can't get the bone out through endoscopy I'm looking at 6k on top of the 2 k I've already spent.

My heart is breaking. If they can't get the bone out without puncturing the esophagus, she is getting out down.
Sorry, I hope she's ok. Obstructions don't just come from bones. It can happen with kongs, nylabones, greenies, just about anything they chew on. Soft, cottony materials can be really bad. I understand feeling guilty any time something happens with them, so for now I wouldn't say anything but good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
I'm so sorry, the worry must be unbearable :( Don't beat yourself up, accidents happen!! I'm praying she makes it through!
 
1 - 20 of 102 Posts
Top