German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a few stewing hens from the grocery store; lean and small (retired layers?) and cheap. They looked more like a pheasant. Cut one in half and gave each one a half late afternoon yesterday. Griff at 15 weeks was working hard on it and when he was down to the last part, a drumstick, he took it by the foot's joint and swallowed it whole. It went in straight and effortless. Then he finished the rest without burping, regurgitating or gagging. Then I realized that these bones were probably older and thus denser than the ones from the meat chickens. He had a good poop late in the evening and again this morning. I didn't see anything in the poop. He is feeling great.
I am still worried that it can cause an obstruction at some point though. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
If the frame was smaller as you said, I think his system will take care of it and pass it today as digested or partially digested. Poop may be a little hard. My boy strains bit if I have given him too much bone and the poop comes out a bit dry.

I hope he is doing well.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
If it is a dense bone will take longer to digest. Which is good making easier to pass. For any blockage look out for signs of vomiting, lethargy and not pooping. Sometimes there are no signs of blockage right away so very important to check for poop and all has passed. I would stay away from drumsticks regardless as now you know he gobbles them whole. Hope all is well with Griff!

·
Registered
9,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Day three. Griff is OK, good poops at regular intervals. He is his "old" self and fine. I basically dissected every poop and found nothing identifiable. Amazing how strong his juices must be. The next stewing hen I give the lower part to Deja.

·
Registered
9,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I told my vet about Griff swallowing a drumstick. She laughed and said that she admired the way their bodies deal with bones. She told me about her Great Dane who once caught and killed a large domestic rabbit, bit it in half and swallowed the two pieces without tenderizing them. She dissected his poop for three days and only found white hair.

·
Registered
199 Posts
OH gosh. I would have been pretty worried too.

Genali certainly keeps me on my toes. She picks up everything. I had to pry gravel out of her mouth yesterday. sigh..... Today, I am doing some laundry and her favorite game is snatching socks and running like the wind. Lord help me when I drop something! Gonna start saving up for the gastric obstruction surgery now...lol

Am so glad that your boy is ok!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts