German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been told the SV will accept the OFA hip ratings, but not the elbows. Is that true? And if so, why? TIA:confused:

·
Premium Member
11,244 Posts
This is for the koer only.......you can use OFA or SV hips. For elbows not. OFA is pass or fail elbows. SV has grades exactly like hips. Since dogs are routinely done at 1 year for SV, often they are not "finished" and can improve at 2......some dogs with NZ elbows come here and are sound their whole lives.....produce normal elbows....so looking at less than 'a' normal on SV ratings is IMO always taken with a grain of salt.....if they are 'a' normal - no problem, but I have seen too many FNs and even NZs resubmitted to OFA and come back Good for hips and Normal for Elbows. I have done dogs at 12-16 months and sent to OFA for prelims, then to SV - all have been Good and Normal and gone 'a' normal both hips and elbows....if they were less than 'a' normal I would repeat at 2-2.5

Lee

Reactions: gsdluvr

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
OFA IS doing 1,2, and 3 ratings on elbows now. One of my dogs got a "good" hip rating and a grade 1 on the elbows at 1 year. I called OFA and he said he just didn't think the elbow was perfect enough to pass. My vet was surprised, he thought they looked great. These were, of course, prelims.

·
Registered
31,591 Posts
OFA IS doing 1,2, and 3 ratings on elbows now. One of my dogs got a "good" hip rating and a grade 1 on the elbows at 1 year. I called OFA and he said he just didn't think the elbow was perfect enough to pass. My vet was surprised, he thought they looked great. These were, of course, prelims.

??? I just had Seger's done. there was no rating. It was "normal"

·
Premium Member
11,244 Posts
While OFA grades them - the official is still pass and fail....with your Grade 1 elbows, you got a letter I believe, NOT an OFA Certificate. The grade for your information, but it is considered a fail if not normal.

Lee

Reactions: Jax08 and gsdluvr

·
Premium Member
11,244 Posts
While OFA grades them - the official is still pass and fail....with your Grade 1 elbows, you got a letter I believe, NOT an OFA Certificate. The grade is for your information, but it is considered a fail if not normal. The SV does not "fail" them until 'a' 4....1 being normal, 2 being fast normal and 3 still acceptable.

Lee

Reactions: gsdluvr
1 - 7 of 7 Posts