German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Frank surprised me last night in our Obed. class.
He's 9 months old and doing well in all his obed novice work except the recall, we practiced and practiced at home but he just would not sit straight in front of me when I called him in.
Last night in class after telling the instructer that I would need to help him front right she said just try it without help and see what he does,
So I did,
And Frank fronted straight as could be :D, like it was what he did every day, and then he did his finish, :D
I was so excited and Frank looked at me like "Gee Mom what's the big deal you're embarrasing me"

·
Registered
16,007 Posts
Congratulations! I think he overheard the conversation and wasn't going to show how negligent he had been! (not really but sometimes it seems like it) It's almost as if the effect of telling someone about the problem causes the trainer (us) to be more aware of doing our part "right" - then the dog responds by doing his part "right" as well. That's my theory of most dog errors are handler errors.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Like kids, they'll take any opportunity to make liars out of us! It's great when they surprise us like that, good job

·
Registered
93 Posts
Alex was my GSD/collie mix I had until a few years ago. When he was about 9 months, we were in Ob. Training. The end of each class was spent working on next weeks' skills. We would work on two or three new commands for 10 minutes. One week I did not have any time to work with Alex. On the ride to class I was so worried that Alex would look dumb when I knew he was a very smart dog. We get to class and Alex is perfect on the new commands he had only worked on 10 minutes the prior week. I was so proud until I starting thinking on the ride home. Then it dawned on me.......I should never have to tell him as much as I do! He should "get it" a lot quicker! The little stinker! During his whole 11 years, he was always better behaved at work and at school than at home. He knew where he could get away with being slack. Boy, I miss him.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts