German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we had Cooper neutered on December 15th. Ever since he has come home from the surgery he has had diarrhea, to the point of explosive diarrhea at some points. He has been on Wellness Puppy Large Breed for almost all of his life (he is 8 months old) and that food has never given him GI problems like this. Our vet doesn’t seem to think it’s a problem. She says it’s just the GSD's sensitive GI tract post-surgery. We have taken Cooper in twice just to have him evaluated and make sure he isn’t becoming dehydrated. All checkups have been good. We go again Monday. She did have us change his food to Hills I/D Gastrointestinal Health. This has seemed to stop his diarrhea but now we notice he is scratching and biting at himself a lot. So my questions are, has anyone else had GI problems like this post-surgery is this normal? Does anyone else out there use any of the food mentioned above and what do you think of them? Does anyone’s GSD have a food allergy and what where the signs you saw from your dog?

·
Banned
11,005 Posts
No diarrhea here.
Have the vet do a fecal. He may have picked something up like a protozoa or other parasite.

SD "i/d" is good for short term use but you need to get the dog back on a regular diet.
Avoid corn, wheat, soy and by-products, no matter what food you choose.

PS. I think others have mentioned wellness can be too rich and give dogs loose stools.
You might look into Kirkland from Costco, or Diamond Naturals.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts