German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I play fetch with Ozzy, he seems to forget how close I am to him when he's running back with the ball.

Know how in flyball, the dogs have to hit that platform to get the ball? Well, that's what Ozzy does, but on me. He always, always tags my legs, going full speed. Like he can't get the ball to me fast enough. LOL
It's only irritating when his feet are all wet from the sprinklers.

Geez, I hope my future GSD won't do that. I'll be splattered.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I can not count how many times my dogs have completely taken me out playing ball,lol Yes your future GSD will do this and yes it really does hurt and make you look pretty silly;)

·
Super Moderator
32,675 Posts
One time in a class with Keefer the agility field outside wasn't in use so we took all the dogs out there to work on longer range recalls. We formed a long corridor with the dogs lined up in two parallel rows and one at a time we handed the leash to the trainer at one end, went to the other end, and then called our dog. They had the recall dog on a long line so they couldn't just take off running. Keefer came at me SO fast that I had to jump out of the way to avoid him flattening me! I stepped on the long line as he zipped by to stop him. Yikes! The trainers were laughing at his enthusiasm and I heard a few WOWs from the other owners. :wild:

·
Registered
459 Posts
Once in class we were working on recalls and Willow comes running across the room towards me and then another dog barked, Willow turned to look but was still running toward me and slammed right into me!

·
Registered
6,699 Posts
all I've got to say is "Beware big dogs on wet grass"! If you get two big dogs playing tag on wet grass, you can kiss your knees goodbye!

·
Registered
505 Posts
oh lord...I have been taken out on the stairs a couple of times and once in the living room..bruises on my feet and toes...

·
Registered
288 Posts
I too have rode the steps down on my butt because my GSD ran past me and knocked me down. However... to her credit, as I hit the floor at the bottom of the steps, she did lay with her head in my lap to "comfort" me.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Bella has taken me out a few times as well. We were playing with her flirt pole the toy ziped by me and she took me out full speed. Hefer did not even stop to check on me she was to worried about her dang toy. :p

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
When Chief was a pup, I was pregnant with my third child. He took me out on the steps and I went down on my belly. That was the last time I walked him for a long time. After that it was my older kids job. Wolfie has taken me out playing ball.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I probably look like a goof doing this but every time my pack is hauling tail 90 to nothing toward me I BEND MY KNEES. No knee injuries please! :)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Shasta took me out on the stairs earlier chasing after the stupid rawhide roll that had escaped. lol hit the bottom of the stairs and she's staring at me eyes wild and crazy, hackles raised and this OMG I'M SORRY!!!!! look on her face. I'm sitting there laughing and she slowly crawls over to me and into my lap trying to apologize. She's not a little puppy anymore so this 50 lb pup crawling into my lap only made me laugh harder.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Ok, so I remembered another time that Stryder and I were going UP the stairs...he was in front and stopped half way up in front of me...well I hit my shins *ouch* and tumbled forward, he looks back and out of reactions I yell "MOVE IT", well he panicked and didn't know what to do, so he started to move on up the stairs and then appeared to be running in place on the stairs because he could figure out what to do... he made it to the top and my shins healed. LOL!

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Just be ready to leap out of the way! I'm always like, "Oh, crap!" when I see Niko barreling toward me and he's not slowing down. Yesterday he slid in the grass (we've had lots of rain lately so it was pretty soggy out) about three feet before he came to a stop.

DH has a fun trick he'll play on me. I'll be out minding my own business doing work in the garden or yard. He will "sic" Niko on me. Niko knows that "Fass Mommy" means go run at mommy full speed and slam into her.

I'll hear the thundering footsteps (unless I'm wearing my iPod) and leap out of the way. I'd get mad, but it is pretty funny.

·
Super Moderator
32,675 Posts
I probably look like a goof doing this but every time my pack is hauling tail 90 to nothing toward me I BEND MY KNEES. No knee injuries please! :)
Exactly! I have crappy knees to begin with, I don't need my dogs making them even worse. A bent knee is much safer!

With Keef's recall being so fast I had to learn exactly when I needed to holler "SIT!" as he was charging towards me, so he had time to decelerate and sit in front before barreling into me. Since the places I could practice at home were at fairly short distances (very small yard) he wasn't able to build up much speed, so there was a bit of a learning curve at longer distances. :help:

·
Registered
686 Posts
When Bo stands on his hind legs he is as tall as I am and is a good, solid 80lbs of muscle, and growing. One of his favorite things to do is run at me full speed and body slam me. He is also fond of jumping up to plant his front paws on my shoulder and lick my face. I learned quick to be ready for his attacks. Usually he only jumps up when invited.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Cassidy's Mom's story reminded me of when my Malinois was in obedience class. She doesn't like to be separated from me, so when it was time to come, she ran full speed and when she got to me she planted both front legs on my chest in mid run and almost knocked me down. Whenever she's in a situation she doesn't like, she does that. More often its on my back. I've seen that behavior in other dogs, too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts